Looking for opinions about V-Strom.

steve3b3

Retired
Bike
2018 GoldWing
I've got an '07 Wee in addition to my '04 ST.
Neither of mine have ABS.
the Wee's brakes are less effective than the ST's. I don't know what pads I've got on the Wee, since I bought it last summer and haven't needed to replace them yet. It'll get the EBC-HH pads, like a previous poster said.
I've locked up the rear on the Wee twice since I've owned it, and never in the ST.
The Wee is more viby than the ST. It's a V-twin, vs. the ST's V4.
Both will do freeways, the ST a little more effortlessly than the Wee.
Mine came with Givi E45 bags, and they've got more room for STUFF than the ST's bags. Since my bike came with a Monolock "shoe" for a topbox, I use one of the E45s as a topbox for my daily hauling.
I'm convinced that the Wee or Vee would do great for trips, with a little work to make it right for you. As another poster said, we all modified our STs to make them "right". the Suzi is no different.
This guy is documenting a ride from GA to CO,UT,OK,TX: Wee tour!

Steve :04biker:

Last edited:
Bike
Vstrom 650
I had my first ride on a dl650 yesterday and loved it,but it's started me thinking that maybe I should go for the DL1000 and get rid of my ST and my CB500,
otherwise I sell the cb500, buy the 650 and keep the st1100,I'm starting to find the st a bit boring dare I say it,though it's built for touring and most of my riding is short trips etc,
as someone said they are tools and you use different tools for different jobs.Thers alot of backroads here the 650 would be perfect for.
I have found an 06 Dl1000 with all the mods done,only thing it doesn't have abs.

Bike
2006 ST1300
broc11, you sond like you have come to similar conclusions as I have. If it were my ONLY, or at least primary, bike- it would be a DL1000 (or possibly the Yamaha Super T if I had the funding, mainly for the shaft drive). I liked the Wee, but for a big guy like me, I wouldn't use it for a lot of highway travel. Is it possible? Sure...especially for a smaller person. But much like I found with my KLR, it would be making the bike work pretty hard. I haven't ridden the 1000, but from everything I have read, it has LOTS of power and will put a grin on your face!

I would really like to set the ST aside for longer trips, and use a Wee for commuting and exploring back roads, and switch between them for weekend rides around New England.

Bike
Vstrom 650
Hi nhdiesel, I am hopefully going to test ride the 06 DL1000 GT tomorrow,It has all the best mods done to it from what I've been reading on forums etc,and it's only got 14,000 miles on the clock,they don't have abs which I suppose I would miss on wet roads just for confidence.it has the high seat which are supposed to be the most comfortable,I'm 6'1 with 32" inseam so I should be able to manage the height ok.
I took my little cb500 through mountain roads today,the kind of places I'd be taking the vstrom and it managed fine,it's light and powerfull so with a bit of carefull riding I managed to avoid the roughest bits,I wouldn't fancy taking the st1100 up there though,lol

Bike
2003 ST1300
I did 4 days of dual track riding in AZ on the 1000 and greatly enjoyed the extra fork travel and softer springs. But on the highway, the 650 needs to be wound all the time . The 1000 is a very different bike on the road vs the 650. I do agree that both are very reliable.

Bike
2010 ST
I have a '10 ST and an '07 DL650 (I can't bring myself to call it a wee). Really like both bikes, but the Vstrom is really growing on me. I take the ST on week-long trips twice a year, and next year I might try it on my Suzuki. It's all I can do not to sell the ST, I just think I can get away with only my Suzuki for a lot less money. I'm 210 lbs on a good day, so I'm not a little guy, and the Suzuki is plenty of bike for what I need. I commute 60 miles RT, and alternate between the two for fun. I enjoy the commute on both, but I have to admit, it's easier pulling the DL650 around the car and out of the garage when it's time to get groceries...

Don't be mistaken, the Vstrom is not an ST, but they didn't engineer it to be one. It's true that you will need a few aftermarket parts on the Vstrom, including a new seat, luggage/rack, centerstand and windshield, plus those other things like grip heaters that make life worth living. My ST has an aftermarket seat and grips, and really that's about it. But at $4K for a used Vstrom, if you budget a generous $2K for aftermarket items, you'll have a capable bike that will be with you for a long time.

Regarding buffeting, I have none on the Vstrom due to an aftermarket windshield and bracket. Problem solved.

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
I ride with four guys here in Washington State who each own a DL650. They enjoy their bikes a great deal and the only times I see their machines struggle on our trips is when we start to exceed 80mph. The V-Strom starts to vibrate and gets a bit uncomfortable at high speeds. The ST of course is just starting to get its stride a 80mph. I've heard the 1000 is much more comfortable at fast highway speeds more like the BMW R1200GS.

steve3b3

Retired
Bike
2018 GoldWing
I ride with four guys here in Washington State who each own a DL650. They enjoy their bikes a great deal and the only times I see their machines struggle on our trips is when we start to exceed 80mph. The V-Strom starts to vibrate and gets a bit uncomfortable at high speeds. The ST of course is just starting to get its stride a 80mph. I've heard the 1000 is much more comfortable at fast highway speeds more like the BMW R1200GS.
Funny you should mention that.
I use both bikes for commuting, and on the Wee, my comfort zone is 75 indicated, while the ST is comfortable at 80. Both will do a pass, but the ST naturally does it with less effort
75 on the Wee gives me 5500 rpm
80 on the ST is done at about 4500.

Steve

Top Bottom