Looking for some answers on 1983 BMW RT100

Bike
08 st 1300abs
I have a friend who is looking at purchasing a 1983 BMW RT100. It has all the bells and whistles. The persons selling the bike was asking $3500. Bike has 35-40000 miles. Is this a good deal. Is this a good starter bike for someone just wanting to make short weekend trips. Any suggestions thanks.

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Re: Looking for some answers

Important question: is it a K100RT or an R100RT? Both were available in the early 1980s, quite different bikes...yin and yan. The K is a liquid-cooled 4 cylinder (Flying Brick in Beemerspeak), the R is an air-cooled twin (an Airhead). The K's are much more complicated mechanically.

The price doesn't sound cheap but it could be reasonable if the bike is in excellent shape and that's not a lot of miles for a bike that's 30 years old. Does the seller have service records? When was the last service? How are the tires and brakes and battery? If it's been maintained by the book and doesn't need wear items replaced, the price gets more palatable.

I have one friend who had a K100RT and was glad to trade up to a new model, and another friend who still has his K100RT which I'm sure has more than 200,000 miles on it by now. The second friend is a code welder by trade and can fix practically anything, which has come in handy a few times, but his bike just keeps running. He has shared no plans with me about getting rid of it. He's got an 80's E-Class Mercedes-Benz wagon he keeps running as a daily driver, too.

If it's a K100RT, don't be too concerned if it blows a bit of smoke on start up...nature of the beast if it was parked on the side stand, but it should stop within a minute or two.

But first of all, K100RT or R100RT?

OP
OP
idamatt
Bike
08 st 1300abs

It is the R100RT sorry dont know my beemers. It was just serviced and this is the second owner. Came from So Cal. Has not been riden in A couple of years.

$3500 sounds like a lot for a 30-year old machine, even with low miles. Unless it has stopped depreciating and has achieved collector status with the price going back up. Seems unlikely. The good news is it's easy to fix. No whizbang computer electronics/overhead cam stuff. Parts are probably available with some digging. Check the bmwmoa.org and bmwsporttouring.com sites. They list parts suppliers, and list bikes for sale. beemerboneyard.com is a good parts source.

Good luck!

pete

OK, so I should have looked before I typed!

The bmwmoa.org site (BMW Motorcycle Owners Assc) shows an '84 R100RT with 53K miles for $3550; and a '80 for $3350.

Sounds like you are right in the ballpark!

pete

Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #

I have a R90S with 177K miles. Look up the Airheads website for the state Airmarshal. He'll be able to direct you to someone in your area to help with maintance and also to have a look-though. It doesn't sound like a bad deal with the mileage. With some tutoring, you should be able to do most of the maintance work yourself. The RT bikes have a nice fairing to keep you out of the elements.Jim VT Airmarshal.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #

Your question might be better suited to classic BMW sites like ADvrider's Airhead forum. Older air cooled BMW RT's are good reliable motorcycles but they do require more fiddling mechanically than your friend may want to do, especially if it hasn't been ridden in a 'couple' years. The R100RT has plenty of power for weekend cruising and it's brakes are almost modern in power and feel. I have a naked version that I have ridden nearly 40K in the last few years but I have had to service every system in the bike in that time. The electrical charging system in particular is weak on Airheads (air cooled flat twins) and is marginal in the best of conditions. A well sorted twin shock R100RT is probably worth that figure but if it needs any carb or electrical work it could soon be a $4500 bike. BMW built thousands of R100s in the period and there are many in good shape for the same money.

You might peruse The Marketplace at IBMWR, a website catering to the BMW marque.

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #

Another thing for your friend to consider: is he (she?) looking for an early 1980's BMW R100RT specifically, or for a good starter bike for weekend trips? There are many other bikes that can be had for that kind of dough that aren't 30 years old and which would work well for the stated purpose. Some possibilities:

You could probably find a Kawasaki KLE 650 (Versys) or Ninja 650 or Suzuki DL650 VStrom or Suzuki GS550 for under $4000. There are a number of metric cruisers that could work if your friend likes that style bike.

Also consider that for $4000 you could get a Honda CBR250 or Kawi Ninja 250 brand new that would be great for learning and have new bike reliability and a warranty. Add some soft luggage and off you go on a weekend trip.

Go with your friend to some bike shops and see what speaks to him (or her)...maybe it's early 80's Airheads!

Bike
04 Honda ST1300
STOC #

I had a 1985 R80RT for several years, same bike and engine as the R100RT, just smaller cylinders. Great bike in a lot of ways. I am of the opinion they are well built and if taken care of will last a long, long time. Depending on condition, I would think $2500-$3500 for that bike. I sold mine about five years ago with 40k miles for $3k and it was in excellent condition. My gripes with it were: a bit buzzy-but not too bad; engine heat-my toes got roasted in the summer, but kept nice and warm in winter:); and maintenance. The maintenance was not hard, per se, but took time. Valve adjustments every 5k or so and lubing the splines every 20k or so. The battery box tended to get corroded/rusty and had to be removed and cleaned and repainted every couple of years. If a person likes bike maintenance, the airheads are a good choice due to their simple construction and reliability. It was fairly lightweight (around 525 lbs if I recall), so not a bad choice for a beginner-especially if they want a touring bike. I liked the weather protection in cold and/or wet conditions, but that pro became a con in hot conditions. I also liked the large tank (almost 6 gallons) for touring purposes too. I think it makes an excellent touring bike. The saddlebags are solid and hold a lot. The stock seat, like most, is kind of uncomfortable on long rides, but a sheepskin cover solved that problem for me. It isn't too bad of a two-up bike either as far as room goes, but could use more power in those instances when ridden with two. I am glad Honda is finally making a smaller, lighter touring bike (NT700) as BMW has lots of them to choose from over the years.

scootac

Will Ride for Food
I have a friend who is looking at purchasing a 1983 BMW RT100. It has all the bells and whistles. The persons selling the bike was asking $3500. Bike has 35-40000 miles. Is this a good deal. Is this a good starter bike for someone just wanting to make short weekend trips. Any suggestions thanks.
If the bike is in good running condition, and the fairing/tank are all in good condition, (paint, dent-free etc.) it is certainly worth $3500 with that few miles on. Only thing,,,, is the 35-40,000 the real mileage,,, or has the odometer already turned 100K,,, or even 200K?!?!?! VERY possible with a 29 year old BMW!
K100RT bikes didn't come along till '84.
Maybe not the ideal starter bike, but light weight and low center of gravity help out. Also,,, if your buddy finds he doesn't care for it, he can sell it for what he paid. Can't do that with a new bike. Find a good dealer,,, which might be hard to do in Idaho,,, and he'll have a LOT more parts in stock than a Honda dealer does for a nearly 30 year old bike!
Follow the links others have mentioned to do servicing and maintenance.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I think the K bikes were introduced in 1983 with the naked K100 and it's fully faired stable mate the K100RS but it was not until the 1984 model year that BMW released the K100RT.

+1 on the other Airhead comments. Mine is a keeper as I do like some maintenance and the airhead boxers are simple to maintain and retain a purity of vintage motorcycling experience with modern reliability - at least to me. They can function as daily riders even in 2012. Parts are readily available from BMW or aftermarket.

1981 and 82 model R100s would have come equipped with the period mandated 85 mph speedometer that had 5 digit odometers so 99,000 miles could be actually 199,00 and so on. The 1983s reverted to 140 mph clocks and 6 digit odometers. Of course plenty of owners canned the original 85 mph clocks for later model 140 mph ones in the intervening decades.

Bike
04 Honda ST1300
STOC #
Find a good dealer,,, which might be hard to do in Idaho,,, and he'll have a LOT more parts in stock than a Honda dealer does for a nearly 30 year old bike!
One of the best things about BMW's is the fact the dealers can and will work on the old bikes and can get parts for them too. Can't say that about many other makes. Our local Yamaha dealer ticked me off when they told me they wouldn't work on any bikes older than 7 years old, nor would they order parts for my Virago. I can't say I blame dealers, but as a customer, that can be frustrating. On the flip side, not too many BMW dealers around, so like mentioned above, might be hard to find a close one in Idaho.

OP
OP
idamatt
Bike
08 st 1300abs
Thanks to all that gave advice. My friend went and rode rode the bike last night nad because he has bad knees it was not a good fit for him. Thank you again for allthe help.

Top Bottom