looking to rebuild works pro rear shock

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
WORX (the daughter 'restarted' the company under the new name) does rebuilds. I had them do one of mine - it was a very slow process and communication was less than good, the rebuild was barely okay. What I ran into is that Works will/would not share/sell their internal parts to anyone else, so they are about the only option. I had them on all four of my ST1100s but now I have swapped to Wilbers and am very happy with their product.

Sunday Rider

Site Supporter
Bike
1997 ST1100
STOC #
This is good to know as I had my Works shock rebuilt many years ago and the old shop was great to work with. I guess next time it starts to leak, I will look at Wilbers. Thanks

I just had my front shocke done with Wilbers. I will install Wilbers Nivomat on the rear very soon. I have made a video about it. If you mention me in your request, the guys at HK Suspension will give you a discount an your order(!). Here is the video with instructions and info. Perhaps interesting to send a request! Good luck! (P.s. part 2 will air on Friday 26th of November)

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
WORX (the daughter 'restarted' the company under the new name) does rebuilds. I had them do one of mine - it was a very slow process and communication was less than good, the rebuild was barely okay. What I ran into is that Works will/would not share/sell their internal parts to anyone else, so they are about the only option. I had them on all four of my ST1100s but now I have swapped to Wilbers and am very happy with their product.
Anybody with recent experience with WORX and has a contact there? Am trying to have the Works shock rebuilt for my 1300.

No luck getting WORX on the phone and it took them three weeks to answer an eMail, replying that any local shop should be able to do the work!

Now the local shop says the parts are still in good shape and they could rebuild the shock but they need to source the main seal....and had absolutely no luck reaching anybody at WORX for help and have already spent too much time with that, so now I have to sort that out myself!

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
Do you have it apart? Does the main seal have any numbers on it?

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
Do you have it apart? Does the main seal have any numbers on it?
The seal is in bad shape and the shop couldn't find anything to identify it. Neither can I from the pics they sent me.

I will pick it up and try to find one that looks like it!

The shock failed after only about 15K miles and I hear now that early failures are not uncommon with Works. So maybe I should look for something else.....But the way it was riding was just about perfect for me!

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #

Just for info.

As UP suggested, dealing with Tim there is frustrating, he doesn't want to sell me the main seal I need, only directly to the repair shop working on my shock.

Very nice kids at the shop, I hate to see them wasting so much time trying to deal with WORX. I might just pay them for whatever time they have put in it so far and forget about it.

A shame as the shock worked great for me. The shop found it still in very good shape but commented that all tech in it was antiquated!

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I just gave up and went with Wilbers on all four of my ST1100s and have been very pleased with them.
I still have 4 Works Pro Racer shocks with various mileages laying on my shop floor if anybody would like to buy them! ;)

Slydynbye

Will ride for Pie
Bike
2000 ABSII
STOC #
I just gave up and went with Wilbers on all four of my ST1100s and have been very pleased with them.
I still have 4 Works Pro Racer shocks with various mileages laying on my shop floor if anybody would like to buy them! ;)
Inquiring minds need to know, which Wilbers model and from where? It's Time to replace my Works shock as well. TIA

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Some folks have went with Hagon and been pretty happy also.
I chose Wilbers because Computrac Atlanta who did all my front end rebuilds recommended them based on their experience.
Kent did such a great job on my front suspension that I trusted his judgment on the rear shock.
I did not get the 'remote' adjustment option since I ride alone and with pretty much the same 'load'.
They ask a lot of questions as to your weight, how much luggage, etc. to dial it in for you.

Wilbers Invoice Prices Removed.jpg

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
That is tempting!
I even have a Progressive 465 in my 'collection'. ;)
Some of the Works do not have a lot of miles on them but I have no idea what the mileage is as I removed them when I got the Wilbers.
They were good shocks but after my experience with Worx I gave up on them and moved on.
If you are interested, PM me and we can chat about it.
I'd rather get rid of the lot of them at one time.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
I even have a Progressive 465 in my 'collection'. ;)
If you are interested, PM me and we can chat about it.
I'd rather get rid of the lot of them at one time.
Message sent, but I'd really hate to deprive others by taking them all. (I'm hoping for the 465)

Top Bottom