Lower great lakes SS1600K (or 1000 for the imperialists)

Highway STar

Jock of all trades
Site Supporter
Bike
2012 Victory Vision
STOC #
Planning to do a SS1600km ride around the lower Great Lakes in the next few weeks. It will be a Saturday or a Sunday. Starting in Toronto and heading east before sunrise and then crossing into the States to run west to Detroit and then back to Toronto. Have a brief stop planned in Cleveland but other than that just easy riding for the day. Any one along that route with traffic/construction warnings I would appreciate knowing about it in advance. And if you care to join me I'd be delighted, even for a little while. I will post the route in the next day or two.

Thanks,
Jock

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
I will post the route in the next day or two.
A "lap around the Lower Lakes",,, I like that ! My first ss1600 was linear,,, generally Wasaga to Moncton. It was just the beginning of a 4500km adventure. The planning,, and execution were the highlights. You can make it as challenging as you please. Make the ride yours,,, stay safe,, and enjoy !! Cheers, CAt'

Bike
'06 ST 1300
STOC #
years ago we started in Monroe, MI and headed over to Cleveland. crossing at Watertown, NY into Canada. that was my second IBA SS1000 that year. good luck on your ride and i'll see what i can find out about construction on I-75 in Michigan

Bike
FJR & Super Tenere
STOC #
Have a great SS Jock! I've done 3 of them but never the lower great lakes version.
Hope you have great weather and speedy border crossings.

OP
OP
Highway STar

Highway STar

Jock of all trades
Site Supporter
Bike
2012 Victory Vision
STOC #
Lots. But this is a 24 hour thing, correct? So I won't say to stay off of every road on your route Jock !
Yeah, if it was not time sensitive I wouldn't be on any of those Interstates/400 series roads. I missed ON-STOC so I'm trying to do all the riding in one day.

OP
OP
Highway STar

Highway STar

Jock of all trades
Site Supporter
Bike
2012 Victory Vision
STOC #
I changed my route due to the weather forecast and headed out to Sarnia in the wee hours. But my cruise control stopped working while going through Hamilton and by the time I got to Cleveland where I stopped for a nap it was beginning to bother my wrist. It was looking like the weather would be waiting to greet me as I rode back in to the Toronto area so I cut it short and returned home through Fort Erie. After getting through the border ( another story in itself) and starting up the QEW of course the cruise started to work again....

It was still a good ride. The only scary moment was going through Detroit in the only real rain I experienced and was coming up on a double dump truck rig when the trailer started to swing back and forth from passing lane to curb lane... Both I and the Merc in front of me put on as much brake as it was prudent to do given the wet conditions and let the driver get things under control. He promptly pulled over to the side of the highway ( I assume to change his undergarments and then fix whatever caused it to happen).

There was light traffic all the way and only one hold-up, a car (jeep) caught fire while hauling a U-Haul trailer and this closed all the lanes down. The only heavy traffic I had was getting back into Toronto, as usual. It really is ridiculous how bad it is getting anytime but between midnight and 6 in the morning.

I did what the IBA suggests and quit because I was getting tired. The wife agreed this was the wisest choice. Would still like to do the lower lakes but likely not until next year at this point. And I think next time I will make departure dependent on a better forecast and I will not try to get such an early start. It was refreshing to be on the road through downtown Toronto with so little traffic but I think the change in my sleep schedule ultimately cost me. Oh, and you can never carry too many clothes on a long ride like this! Even with my heated gear on I was glad I had a layer of raingear I could add. I wound up doing about 1150 km for the day and despite it being slab all the way it was still a day of riding.

Ride safe, everyone.

Jock

Attachments

Bike
FJR & Super Tenere
STOC #
Smart decision. With good lessons learned you'll get it next time.

Pretty sure I took this pic when riding through Detroit last time - or was it Toronto? ;) Same.

1664291177890.png

Bike
ST-1300A '09/'12
2024 Miles
Tough luck on not being able to complete your IBSS but good on you for having the prudence of knowing when to quit. My first IBSS was also a great lake tour, Lake Michigan to be specific. But I didn't have all the necessary documentation so i never submitted my application. The next one was a straight shot (Baltimore,MD-PEI) that I did this summer. I have the documentation this time but have yet to submit it.

Top Bottom