magnets and the infamous signal generator

i'm closing in on my rostra global cruise install. and the next step seems a little problematic to me. it's the pick up coil and the associated parts. the signal generator kit came with a few SMALL magnets with self adhesive. they really looka anemic to me. and the ahesive looks like it would only last one riding season before i started loosing them one by one (sooner i expect). now, i have been following an install outlined on my-mc dissusion forum-honda1100. the poster has bought stronger magnets and glues them, instead of the ome kit ones- this seems like a really good idea. since i'm thinking that i'd like to back the coil away from the 1/2 inch gap suggested in the instructions.(probably still inder an inch in my own case) trouble is that i have no idea what to be looking for in the way of "rare earth magnets" (unable to message the poster from that forum since i long ago lost the user name and password i used there) my intention is to glue 4 of'em onto the rear brake disk. hopefully this will minimize both, the ammount of ferrous debris picked up from the road, and the cenrifugal force generated from the spinning wheel. (keeping things as colse to the center as possible). does anyone think there are other locations that should be considered? and finnaly what would be the best way to attach them them to the disc? and the glue?- i don't want to discover that the glue i used lost it's grip because of corrosain betweem the disc and glue. i doubt if the bake disc could be drilled and taped to take a small bolt(about 6 or 8/32 would be nice- but it looks like it'd hardened) along with the glue. and this would be my prefance. any and all replys/ideas please- thanking all in advance

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
half inch gap sounds pretty big for a sensor coil even with the rare earth magnets.
"rare earth" he is refering to are probably neodymium magnets or less likely samarium cobalt.

Don't know where the rostra wants to have the magnets mounted but if you have neo magnets try to remove the surface coating and epoxy to the magnet base material.

The pulse divider sounds like a cleaner approach though.

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
MileHigh; I think this is going on an ST1100, so no VSS signal.

For the pulse generator to work, you will have to keep the gap pretty close. Some of these use a "Hall Effect" transistor (3 wires) and, IIRC, you need to use the SOUTH pole of the magnet to trigger them.

We used to use them when we ran Pro Rally (SCCA Auto racing). On the last one I set up, I used JB Weld and glued the magnets to the back (head) of the wheel lugs and mounted the sensors through the brake backing plate (kept them away from damage that way). We also ran some on drive shafts on RWD cars.

On the M/C, I would use a setup much like an ABS ring, if possible. Possibly behind the brake rotor, or on the driven side. I would use 2 magnets (for balance and ease of installation).

Grind off the paint at the desired location, mix up some JB weld and "encapsulate" all but the "face" of the magnet, making sure you get up the sides and slightly over the edge of the face. For extra security, utilize some safety wire.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I bought the magnets that will fit inside the bolt heads of the rear disc (that's the way MCCruise does it). My 'used' MCCruise didn't have magnets so I found them on line. Most speed pickups are not that 'fussy' about the width of the gap. You should be able to test the unit to see if it is getting a signal.

OP
OP
one good thing is that the sensor is not anything more than a garden variety coil.( two wires - and one is gounded to the frame) this will simplify things for me. when i started on this install i was thinking of useing the same signal as the vacume unit used. after all who really wants to hang more stuff off of their bike? i called the tech line at rostra and got a someone who was adament that the signal generator was the only way to make this work( i'm working with a st1100 and the techie was clueless about anything that wasn't already covered in the installation manuel i have my doubts about the advice i was given ) so that's the way it's going to be installed-some time in the future i might try to adapt the pulse signal generated at the coil input, but this'll take some enegry and time and is best put off for the current riding season. j-b weld sounds like the best for me- phill- i was thinking that i had read that such magnets were available, but what does a guy do when it comes time to unbolt the disc?

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Unbolting the disc? Really simple - get an extra magnet and touch it to the one in bolt head (BTDTGTTS) - they come right out with no trouble (assuming you orient the extra magnet to attract not repel.-)). And you don't need to fuss with JB weld - I can assure you that after 150,000 miles the magnets will stay put. You just need to be sure you install them the same way. The big issue is to get the correct length and correct diameter to fit inside the bolt head (I don't have that handy right now).

Bike
2003 ST1300
2nd ditto to Uncle Phil. I've been running a bicycle speedometer on my zrx for 35k miles, triggered by 2 "rare earth" magnets stacked in one of the front disc bolts. Package of 2 for a couple of bucks at Radio Shack, they fit perfectly.

OP
OP
no glue AND simple!! it only get better n better!...found some magnets that'll fit in the bolt heads, on line. but am going to check out radio shack and frys, before placing an order. thanks guys..three tumbs up for all the help!

Top Bottom