main fuse box….fuse connectors

Bike
ST1100Y 2001
morning all..does anyone know a easy way to remove the fuse connectors. i need to clean my headlight connector and close the gap for a tighter fit

GGely

Site Supporter
Bike
2001 ST1100 Non ABS
STOC #
There should be a small locking tang on the back of the connector. You depress it from the bulb side with a small, thin blade and pull the connector out the wire side. Once serviced, reinsert the connector into the housing until you hear the click of the tang as it seats.

The challenge is that sometimes, due to age or fatigue or depressing bit too far, the tang won’t pop back up. At this point, I usually replace the connector.

As Larry says, it may be easier to use a small set of needle nose pliers to compress the connector. Or a thin bladed screwdriver.

Bike
1998 ST1100.. W
was wanting to remove left one to give it a good clean
Took all mine out a while ago, Push locking pin down with very small screwdriver and slide out from wire side as stated by GGely above. (post #3)
However, looking at the picture, I suspect you're going to need some new terminals, mine were corroded, yours look a bit burnt..
If you do decide to pull them all for a good clean, either do one terminal at a time, or as I did, make a note of which colour goes where and pull them all at once.
May seem obvious but a friend of mine once pulled all the wires out of his fuse box and, even with a wiring diagram, took me weeks to sort it out for him.... was on a car mind you..... Cheers...

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
Some of the terminal inside the fuse body are linked with a bus-bar. If that is the case, then it makes it impossible to remove a single terminal - you have to remove 3 or 4 at once.

I don't know if this applies to the 1300 fuses, but I have a spare 1100 fuse box, and I have tried a number of times to remove the terminals that are connected with a bus-bar without success. The metal tang does not want to give way very readily.

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
The fuse holder sometimes shows its maximum current rating moulded into the black plastic. Make sure that you have one that is at least as big as the fuse that you are putting in it. (And not a cheaper, lesser rated holder that is being sold with a bigger fuse, to fool you).

OP
OP
mike everitt
Bike
ST1100Y 2001
does anyone have an idea what will happen with my spyball alarm if i disconnect the battery??

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
Yes, probably. It will sound off a very load high annoying siren for a very long time.

When I removed mine - permanently, I was ready for that. It was wrapped in a thick towel, inside a waterproof bag, in a bucket of water, in a closed garage. I can't remember how long it went on for, but it was hours rather than 30 minutes. Which is a good thing. But not if you are trying to get rid of the thing.

Mine was a DataTool S4 - so a Thatcham approved unit only for installation by professional fitters.
I'm glad I got rid of it - the mess with the wiring that they created splicing into the harness and running single wires across metal from with only insulation tape to protect it - disasters waiting to happen. There was also a booby trap on the main fairing bolt just above the engine on both sides.
We used the bike for camping and I found it impossible to get myself moving in the time before it shut down and reset the alarm. And then getting at the fob with gloved hands from zipped pockets. If anyone had knicked the bike, anyone in the neighbourhood would just think - oh it's Ok - jfheath's alarm is always going off.

I paid £329 for it when the bike was new. I'd taken it off within the first couple of months.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mike everitt
Bike
ST1100Y 2001
was want to connect wiring harness with relay to battery for fitting a couple of led’s as i do a lot of night riding. i ‘m not sure if using 5amp accessory would be enough for 2 12w led’s. so if i disarm the alarm i shouldnt need to reset spyball

Attachments

Hound

Cave Canem
Bike
2004 ST1300PA
STOC #
12v 12W LEDs will draw one amp each. Probably not an issue on a 5A circuit.

OP
OP
mike everitt
Bike
ST1100Y 2001
Cheers Hound that helps me. will just use accessory feed next to fuse box as its a ignition live. thats my day off tomorrow sorted lol

Top Bottom