massive fuel leak ,broken tube, fuel joint.

OP
OP
kiekeboe
Bike
ST 1300 2004
I'm glad no real harm was done.

If the tank is placed in the maintenance position with the seat adjuster in the middle slot and the safety lanyard is in place to limit how far it pivots then stress on the hose is minimized. It should be able to be safely lifted many times without having to replace the hose if the manual procedure is followed.
yep you might think it is safe, but.
the safety lanyard was still connected and still broke the tube.
there was a hole in it, at the level of the bottom inlet.
and found this rather sharp.

Too old, too much up and dawn is my thought.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
yep you might think it is safe, but.
the safety lanyard was still connected and still broke the tube.
there was a hole in it, at the level of the bottom inlet.
and found this rather sharp.

Too old, too much up and dawn is my thought.
Your bike must be quite different from my 2005. I had raised the tank for general services as required up to 116,000 miles plus the extra times I lifted it to install accessory electrical wiring, farkles, etc. Never a problem though I was careful as due diligence requires and followed the procedure in the service manual each time. At 116,000 miles I replaced the hose just out of due diligence as I had the tank off to access the alternator under the throttle bodies. Close inspection found the old hose still in serviceable condition with no defects inside or outside, still soft and supple compared to a new one. It's really didn't need replacement then but I had a spare one gathering dust. I think the risks involved with removing the tank and replacing the hose just to change an air filter outweigh the benefits of a new hose every time but we are all different in how we manage risk.

OP
OP
kiekeboe
Bike
ST 1300 2004
Not sure what would be worse, finding a fuel leak when you're working on the bike or finding out you cracked the hose on the next fill up with a HOT exhaust header down below.
here comes my experience as a racer than upwards.
I always check out what I've done,
I take photos and write down what I dismount.
I saute in boxes and label everything.

because on my race bike, my life depends on it.
I put everything back in place with the correct values.

Attachments

Last edited:
OP
OP
kiekeboe
Bike
ST 1300 2004
Your bike must be quite different from my 2005. I had raised the tank for general services as required up to 116,000 miles plus the extra times I lifted it to install accessory electrical wiring, farkles, etc. Never a problem though I was careful as due diligence requires and followed the procedure in the service manual each time. At 116,000 miles I replaced the hose just out of due diligence as I had the tank off to access the alternator under the throttle bodies. Close inspection found the old hose still in serviceable condition with no defects inside or outside, still soft and supple compared to a new one. It's really didn't need replacement then but I had a spare one gathering dust. I think the risks involved with removing the tank and replacing the hose just to change an air filter outweigh the benefits of a new hose every time but we are all different in how we manage risk.
is same engine, and also as you have this many times had open.
I call it, tough luck.
but what I will not do for some $ is taking the risk that it happens again.
peace of mind and believe in your engine = smooth and solid ride

Top Bottom