May have screwed up my Electronic Cruise control install

fiziks

I brake things.
Bike
2003 ST1300A
The St has been in the garage since last Wednesday, when I caught a cold. On Sunday, I felt well enough to start installing a Rostra/Audiovox electronic cruise control. But not well enough to get to far. I worked on it a little on Monday and Tuesday evenings as well. I finished up tonight. I used a Rostra dash mount pad with an "on" LED and and "Engaged" LED as well as backlight. I wired the power for the control pad to a hot wire and a ground wire coming out of the CC unit. I wired the red wire for the brake switch sensor and power (and ground) for the CC unit and the Centrodyne VSS signal divider to the quartet harness (using switched + ACC line). When I first turned the key to "on" (but without actually starting the bike) the backlight on the control pad lit up as expected, but when I pushed the "on" button, the "on" led turned on but the backlight turned off. I thought that a bit odd. After playing around for a few minutes, I noticed that I had not connected the ground wire for the CC unit. When I did that, and then turned the key to the "on" position, the keypad lit up much brighter and when I hit the "on" button on the CC control pad, the "on" led turned on and the backlight remained on at the original brightness. But why did I get any power to the control pad without the ground being connected? The brake sensor is wired through the control pad. Is it possible that the purple brake sensor wire (connected to the brake switch wire) acted as ground?

Anyhow once I had the ground connected and double checked all my other connections, I ran the CC through it's diagnostic mode. I had an issue testing the brakes and it turns out the handlebar brake switch is busted. Once I figured that out I continued on with diagnostics. After spinning the rear wheel, the diagnostic LED in the CC unit continued to blink after I stopped spinning the wheel. At first I thought this was an error and spent some time futzing with dip switches in the CC unit and with the signal divider before I reread the instructions that said the the LED would continue to blink and that diagnostic testing was complete... duh. So, I stowed the wires and secured them with electrical tape and zip ties, reinstalled the air box (discovered if you don't connect the white sensor wire on the lid of the air box the FI light blinks 9 times), and put most of the plastic back on.

I turned the ignition to "on" and hit the starter... nothing... the trip meter went to zero and the clock reset to 12am. I hit the starter a second time and the starter feebly turned the engine over then quite and I heard the fuel pump recycle. I put the battery on my BatteryTender Junior for about 20 minutes and it seemed to start up OK. I ran it for about a minute and turned it off. Then hit the starter button again and it turned over very weakly, but caught. It has been on the battery tender for three hours now and the battery shows 11.9volts which seems a bit low to me. I'm wondering if I have a short or a drain somewhere, but what might I have done during the install? Everything that required power was wired to a switched power source, could tapping into the VSS, brake light wire or ignitor coil somehow have caused a short when the bike ignition is turned off? Am I just being paranoid?

OP
OP
fiziks

fiziks

I brake things.
Bike
2003 ST1300A
OK, well, maybe I was just being a little paranoid. This morning, the Battery Tender Jr still had the red light on, but when I put a meter on the battery, it read 12.62v. So maybe my testing last night really did almost completely drain the battery.

How long can you leave the ignition in the "on" position (I have 60/55W headlights) before the battery drains to the point it won't crank the starter?

OP
OP
fiziks

fiziks

I brake things.
Bike
2003 ST1300A
Thanks for the reply. At first I thought you were just being funny But, I started a battery thread in the ST1300 tech session and that is the general consensus... 5 to 10 minutes before the battery is drained. I'm not going to worry about it. Hope the weather is nice enough to road test the CC tonight.

OP
OP
fiziks

fiziks

I brake things.
Bike
2003 ST1300A
Well the bad news keeps coming... On Wednesday, I was a bit preoccupied with the fact that I had drained my battery. But at some point in the aftermath of the install and trying to get enough of a charge on the battery to start the bike, I heard a feint pop... not even a "pop", more like just a feint "p". I thought I had hit the "on" button on the control pad at some point after that to verify that things were still working, but I can't say for sure. Anyhow, last night (Thursday), I get home and the battery is all charged, I turn the ignition on and the CC control pad lights up, but not as bright, and I hit the "on" switch and... nothing... nada... zipola. I was too tired to pull plastic off, but my guess is that "p" sound was a fuse blowing somewhere. I'll know later tonight if I have any blown fuses.

But something that bothered me is something that I described in my original post above in the first paragraph, that even when the CC ground was disconnected, I still saw the backlight on the control pad light up, like it is doing now. That makes me suspicious. That makes me think something is grounding it. I plugged both the brown power wire and the red brake "hot" wire into the same power source, a switched power line on the quartet harness. Is that OK to do? So even if the CC is turned off, the red wire still provides power to the control pad. So where is the ground? Would the purple/violet "cold" brake switch wire be a ground (even if the brake isn't activated)? I know it's a bit much to ask for a definitive answer, but has anyone had to troubleshoot a similar situation with their CC?

woodybelle

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300
I believe that your ground could be through the brake light bulb. It would explain why the control pad was dim when the ground wire was disconnected. There would be a voltage drop across the filament in the bulb and the filament would not light up because it is seeing only partial voltage. There are many ways a circuit can find a ground, it is like finding the path of least resistance. It can even go through a fuse that is not powered, so don't worry about that part. When you say you hit the on switch do you mean the starter button or the cruise on switch?

OP
OP
fiziks

fiziks

I brake things.
Bike
2003 ST1300A
The cruise on switch... I checked the fuses and they were all OK, so I went through all of MY connections and they were good and then I got to the 4-pin connector between the CC and the cc control pad. The red wire was pulled out just enough not to make a connection. I pushed it in just a bit and I appear to be back in business. Not sure if the lead wasn't in good to begin with or if there was enough stress on the harness to pull it out. Thanks for the reassurance about the ground.

OP
OP
fiziks

fiziks

I brake things.
Bike
2003 ST1300A
I used a pliers to put the red wire back into the connector and heard it snap in place. Then I plugged that end of the connector into the mating connector on the CC harness. As I did so, I saw the brown was back out of the connector a bit. With very little effort, the brown wire came right out of the connector. With the two halves of the connector mated, I plugged the brown wire back in and made sure all the other wires were secure. Things seem to be holding now.

Top Bottom