Maybe joining the st1300 family

So have been looking at a used st1300 at a Honda dealer with 61,000 on the odometer. Test rode is the other day and once moving it’s dream. My only hang up is my narrow body and 28” inseam have me really spread apart and mostly tippytoeing the bike at a stop, now coming from the cruiser side of things this feels uncomfortable. Is it something most just get used to or?
mid I never had to stop I would have it in the garage now…lol. Or am I just being paranoid with it being a different set up as I started in a kz550 then soft tail style cruisers for most my riding time….not to be long winded but had a 12 year no bike time in my life and last year bought a Vulcan s, love it light and nimble for commuting to and from work, but I want to see some of this country on 2 wheels before my only view is pine and dirt
Thanks in advance

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Does it have an aftermarket seat?
If not, the stock seat can be adjusted in three positions. Make sure it's in the lowest position. Likewise the preload adjuster. If it's cranked all the way in then the ride height will be at its highest.

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
The bike isn't light, but it is nimble once moving, and it will certainly eat up the miles easily if you want to see the country!

OP
OP
Does it have an aftermarket seat?
If not, the stock seat can be adjusted in three positions. Make sure it's in the lowest position. Likewise the preload adjuster. If it's cranked all the way in then the ride height will be at its highest.
Sergeant seat and they said it’s on lowest setting, but didn’t confirm that

Bike
2010 ST1300
I've got an optimistic 29" inseam and test rode an 1100 at a Guzzi rally in Canada. Rode my Guzzi SP1000 home, and two months later owned a 1300 after a test ride on one at Max BMW (east coast) and I found a 2010 in Washington DC. I literally fell in love w/ the way the beast handled and felt on that Canadian test ride. I sold the bike about 7 years later because it kept getting taller and heavier. That said, there are options. (The ST is far and away the best bike I've ever owned. Not saying much because I've not owned many marques, but I have test driven a reasonably decent statistical sample (even a Boss Hoss). But, I found my ST to be intuitive. On that Max test ride, as I pulled across the parking lot at low speed, I turned right approaching the apron, the bike started to fall over, I twisted the grip and she straightened right up. No thinking. It worked. Felt great. They wanted too much money for an older bike. I walked.)

1. My bike came with a Sargent seat. It was flat and hard and surprisingly comfortable, but too wide for me. I put the OEM back on and ended up sending it to Spencer - a guy who modded seats but is now retired. So you do have seat options, and fixing a seat is not really beyond the realm of what an owner can do himself. Everyone's fundament is different. Some guys just like the OEM seat.

2. A couple of guys have had their ST's lowered - usually professionally. This requires shock mods and sliding the forks up a bit in the clamps.

3. At least one guy here has written an number of times that he has been riding bikes with his short inseam for hundreds of thous of miles. He has learned to stop sliding to one side and putting one leg down. Based on his writings, I've discovered how easy it is to brake w/ my right foot on my VStrom (lowered) and glide to a graceful stop doing the same thing. Almost every time...but I'm still practicing and learning.

4. Our resident cobbler maker (Peach, @Sadlsor, but also apple and others. You will just have to do an OHSTOC to find out.) had 1" soles sewn on his boots as @etalors mentioned.

5. Should you buy an ST, consider this. I had a hard time center standing it. I weigh 150ish in my bvd s and despite technique it was hard. Then I saw a guy who had the same problem except his brother took a used center stand, cut the foot pedal off, lengthened the arm about 3" and welded it up. I bought it, powder coated it, and it worked magic for me. The extended foot bar impinged on a pillion rider's foot space but I ride alone so it was no problem.

6. If you lower the bike you will have to shorten the side stand.

7. Consider not dropping the bike. It weighs c.750 lbs. Or, practice picking it up like those wee lasses on youtube horsing around Harleys and BMW GS's.

8. Know that there are two types of ST owners. Those who have dropped their bikes and those who will drop their bike.

9. I discovered, as have most of the guys here, that once she starts to tip over there is no saving her. I also found out that if you hang on, she will flip you like that little paddle in a pinball machine. Fortunately, I had learned the parachute landing fall in my younger days so nothing was hurt but my pride. Best if this happens to smile at the bemused bystanders and ask for a hand setting her upright. Make sure you have had your hernia operations.

10. These bikes are obsolete and not supported by Honda any more. Many parts are still available. If you cannot or will not do your own maint, consider a bike that is easier to work on and find parts for... like an old Vincent or Ariel Square Four. These are wonderful bikes, but they need some TLC and regular maintenance. Up to '07 1300's have a tendency to throw a #25 or 26 code that means the ECU has gone south. These are now as easy to find as Dodo eggs (and you thought I'd say hen's teeth). While nobody can predict when or if one of those early ECU's will die, I'd suggest an 08 or newer bike - or 1100. Just know that some guys are cornering the market on 1100's - one guy owns 8 and has 4 running at all times.
Read these threads in their entireties.

11. We are a passionate group here. You will get all the help you need (via threads, referrals to older threads, articles that are how to do it, etc.) There are also guys who will help you out wrenching on your bike. A better website and community doesn't exist. Period. (That's anecdotal and unsupported by any statistically significant research.)

12. And also read: https://www.st-owners.com/forums/threads/maintenance-items-needed-for-a-new-old-bike.176679/

13. Don't misunderstand me, I really love this bike, but have been a bit tongue in cheek in some of the things I've said. I now ride a VStrom. It's a great bike, but no ST.

There you have it, a baker's dozen.

Top Bottom