MC Cruise update

I just finished a 1500 mile trip around Lake Superior and want to let you all know that the MC Cruise worked flawless.Never a hint of trouble.
So if your considering plunking down $1000 ($550 in parts/$400 install) for
this unit......it is worth the price in my book.

Thanks Joe Sears for comming though for me in a pinch.

Moby

crazykz

R.I.P. - 2012/06/16
Rest In Peace
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
The install is actually not that complicated and they have very good instructions. If you have the time to do it yourself I think it is very do-able.

Curt

OP
OP
I have heard two schools of thought on this install.Some say no big deal others say it's a bitch. Anyway I went to bite the bullit and have a pro do it. We we heading out for a long trip (1400 miles),my Son was riding this bike mostly.So having this set up right was of key importance.

So I headed down to the local shop.The poor fella spent 6 hours setting the unit up and tweaking it.Now, most people would say he didn't know what he was doing but this was his 3rd MC Cruise install.

By the way,he was a Electrical Engineer before opening his bike shop.

Like I say,"It's cheaper than a busted head." So I just paid the pro.

Moby

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
Install...

Well, I'm not a mechanic, but I have some manual dexterity (I was a carpenter for 10 years in a past life...). It took about 8 hours.
I did go out and buy a torque wrench to make sure I had the rear wheel bolted on correctly. But, as has been stated before, the instructions _and_ photos are clear and understandable. So, if you've got most of the tools (a set of metric wrenches, perhaps an impact driver [not needed for my ST]), and a sense of adventure, dive in and get acquainted with some of the inner workings of the bike.

Bob

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
Long downgrades & McCruise...

Not to hijack the thread... My one "odd" experience with the McCruise: On long downgrades (last week 10 miles at 6% for example) every so often it acts as if it dumps the vaccumn - equivalent to releasing the throttle - and then kicks back in. Ultimately, it never really loses its setting, but it's disconcerting when the engine drops out, even momentarily. Aside from that, I'm beyond satisfied with my purchase.

John Anthony

Bike
'03 ST1300A
STOC #
If I had to do it over, I would definitely do the install myself (in fact I'll be doing Maggie's '05 when the dust settles a bit and the bank account gets replenished. Thank God she doesn't go through husbands the way she goes through bikes!!).

First, it's a good way to get to know your bike (never a bad idea). Second, if you're smart, you'll package this farkle with others (FPR, electrical, lighting upgrade, etc.) so you can maximize the return on your labor.

John

Bike
03 ST1300A
STOC #
LOVE! mine, but sometimes it keeps shutting off whether I am going downhill, uphill or doing straight stretches. I may go 50 miles before it shuts off, 2 miles, 10 miles, unpredictable.
Any idea's for a solution guys? The sensor gap is within spec, the magnets haven't appeared on the fridge :D , the connectors appear to be tight ( with die-electric grease added), and the diagnostic mode checks out ok.
:03biker: :confused:
Muskoka

crazykz

R.I.P. - 2012/06/16
Rest In Peace
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
I have not had the kick out problem and I've used mine all over the place. Not sure what that would be.

Curt

John Anthony

Bike
'03 ST1300A
STOC #
Muskoka said:
LOVE! mine, but sometimes it keeps shutting off whether I am going downhill, uphill or doing straight stretches. I may go 50 miles before it shuts off, 2 miles, 10 miles, unpredictable.
Any idea's for a solution guys? The sensor gap is within spec, the magnets haven't appeared on the fridge :D , the connectors appear to be tight ( with die-electric grease added), and the diagnostic mode checks out ok.
:03biker: :confused:
Muskoka
Call 'em!!! You should be able to phone them when you're home at night and find them in the office the next day! Their number is on their web site. Made a couple of calls to Tony and Frank during my install. Always quick with answers.

I've never encountered the problems you're describing. Mine is rock solid, up hills or down, doesn't seem to make any difference and never any cut outs.

John

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
joeseedoo said:
Well for the most part it sounds like everyone likes the unit.
Although that is the first for the unit kicking off going downhill.
Must be real steep. I am planning my next trip to the NAPA valley area. I hope to try that same hill. Send me an email and let me know where that is.
Thanks Joe Sears www.spoiledbiker.com
Hi Joe,

As nice as the Napa area is, we don't have the long downgrade I had my experiences on. But, if you're out the west coast way, the section of road I was on is Hwy 395 heading south from the Mammoth area down into the Owens valley. It's a 10 mile 6% down grade (or upgrade heading north, not that there was any problem that direction). If nothing else, it's a beautiful stretch of highway...
Regardless, I'm completely satisfied with my McCruise; it's saved my wrists and certainly prevented exacerbation of my carpal tunnel. I love it.

Bob

Top Bottom