MCL fork brace

Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
I ordered a fork brace from MCL that came in today. Very high quality. I'll be installing this weekend. My only gripe is that it came with NO DECALS or stickers. I look forward to the art work of the manufactures logo on decals when I buy parts. Well, I guess I'll recover from this major let down.:cry: My seat is being Spencerized, so it may be a couple of weeks before I get to give an update.:tb1:

OP
OP
mean13
Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
I am too as both of these farkles are a possibility for me.
Don't even hesitate, this is my 2nd ST, when I bought it, I drove it to the house and pulled the seat off and started boxing. My first Spencerized seat transformed my 200 mile, then take a break seat into a, "Dang, I gotta stop for gas again seat". Best bang for your buck farkle out there. Premium upgrade for long distance on both seats was a C-note.:tb1:

OP
OP
mean13
Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
Well I've put a few miles on Big Red 2 ('09 ) with the MCL fork brace. To be honest, I put the brace on her before very many miles. That being said and the fact that my '08 tracked straight and true, I have to say that she has a pull to the right. Not drastic or dangerous, just more than I can correct by leaning my body. Tomorrow I'll try the loosening of the pinch bolts on the axel, and the brace, and bounce the forks down a few times and tighten her back up. Weather is not cooperating, so I wont know anything until I leave for Suches Thursday morning. I know I should try without the brace, but I urethaned the dust guards to the brace. If it stil pulls after this trip I'll try with it off.
I did notice that the front felt more firmly planted without the feel of deflection over ripples or random rock in the road. I had the front chatter on me a couple of times on the '08. I did lean her in on some curves(not real aggressive, but spirited clip) and the front was very confidence inspiring. I guess I could say that it didn't seem as twitchy on less than perfect roads. I didn't notice too much difference on very smooth surfaces, other than maybe just a hair more stable than my '08 was.
I'll give a follow up report in the Ride Report section when I get back. For now, for Thursday it's "SUCHES BY DARK!!!":tb1:

Outbackwack

Howard
Bike
'13 Vstrom 650
STOC #
I have an '08 as well and mine has always pulled to the right. I mounted new tires and re-did the pinch bolts a dozen times but the pull is still there. I even put my tool supplies in the left pannier to see if that helped... nothing. So I just deal with the fact that I can't take my hands off the bars at 100mph ;-)

OP
OP
mean13
Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
Well, I finally did the pinch bolt procedure. The first time I didn't notice any difference, then I did it again but also loosened the fork brace and noticed a great improvement. Almost no pull. Maybe a little drift, but the hard pull is gone.:tb1:

OP
OP
mean13
Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
QUOTE=ST Gui;1795129]What was your tightening sequence once you included the fork brace?[/QUOTE]

I loosened the out side bolts of the brace only. loosened the left side pinch bolts. Then bounced the forks while on the center stand while holding the front brake so I wouldn't push it off the stand. I then tightened the brace bolts, then the pinch bolts. About 90% of the pull is gone. There is still a little drift to the right, but not bad as it was.:tb1:[

OP
OP
mean13
Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
QUOTE=TourNut;1795101]Another thread on the MCL forkbrace you might be interested in , especially replies #69 & #76 : https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?138802-Fork-Brace-Best-30-minute-suspension-mod-ever&highlight=[/QUOTE]

From what I read, they were chasing the stiction, but already had in mind what they thought the problem was. I tightened the brace first then the pinch bolts, that way the brace could center the tubes to the brace. Then tighten the pinch bolts to secure in place. If the tube is in or out some , at the pinch bolts, and you put the brace on, it could try to pull the upper part of the tube to it's orientation. This could put a little pressure on the slider as it nears the top of the stroke causing some sort of pressure thus causing it to feel sticky. Just my humble, opinion. I'm not an engineer, but the MCL fork brace was tested under fire in the Tenn., N C. mountains at speed on my bike, and I like it! I hope that all who invest in farkles for their ride get full enjoyment out of them. If you spend the money you want it to work.:tb1:[

Top Bottom