MCN article about ST1300 heat fix

Blue One

Vendor
Bike
04 ABS ST1300
Solving any heat issue is really simple. Follow the steps below and no problem at all.

1) Install Staintune exhaust. They run much cooler and help get rid of heat that builds in the stock exhaust. Added benefits, they weigh at least 13 lbs less and sound nice. A small bit of midrange power gain I think as well.

2) Ceramic coat the rest of the exhaust. Looks good and makes a huge difference in operating temperature. With the Staintunes and coated exhaust you no longer cook your lower legs or feet.

3) Drill out the inner cowls to resemble swiss cheese. The added airflow helps remove heat.

4) Install a TT thermostat and make sure the cooling system is operating at it's peak, no leaks or low coolant levels.

All of these things combined, drastically lowered the heat I feel when riding my 04 ABS ST.

The difference was pretty dramatic, making the bike a pleasure to ride, even in July in Texas.

Larry

Bike
2009 ST1300A
Does any one have a better description, instructions or pictures of the modification?

3) Drill out the inner cowls to resemble swiss cheese. The added airflow helps remove heat.

Does any one have a better description, instructions or pictures of the modification?

I just remove the inner cowls completely in the summer, reinstall for cool spring or fall weather.

Blue One

Vendor
Bike
04 ABS ST1300

Attachments

Blue One

Vendor
Bike
04 ABS ST1300
Or better yet, just remove them!

Ed
This has been talked about many times here. I had my cowls out and thought of leaving them out when I was putting the tupperware back together.

I didn't like the instability that the loss of support gave the fairing.

The inner cowls offer some structural support to the fairing and it seems weaker without them.

Sure some will say "I have had them out for years with no problems"

But I feel better with the structural integrity that they give the fairing when they are installed, just as Honda designed it.

That's why the proper way IMO is to drill them.

STOC #
Your best bang for your buck to cool the ride is ceramic coat your pipes. Most shops will do this for ~$250. Punching holes in the inner cowls only cools the pockets, I never could feel any real difference in my comfort. However, did make the difference in how long electronics in the pockets stayed useable.

As for dealing with the heat, add the fairing deflectors it moves the very dense tight column of hot air across a wider area. Personally I will most likely never ceramic coat my pipes. The heat is bothersome between 80F and 105F. For most of the summer when the temps are 105F to 115F I really don't notice the difference on my ride to and from work every day, or on my weekend excursions. When the temps drop below 35F during winter mornings to and from work, I will remove the access panels on the middle cowls just to get more heat to my knees and thighs. When it's cold, I love the heat.

georgiast

Failure is NOT an option...
This has been talked about many times here. I had my cowls out and thought of leaving them out when I was putting the tupperware back together.

I didn't like the instability that the loss of support gave the fairing.

The inner cowls offer some structural support to the fairing and it seems weaker without them.

Sure some will say "I have had them out for years with no problems"

But I feel better with the structural integrity that they give the fairing when they are installed, just as Honda designed it.

That's why the proper way IMO is to drill them.
I would offer that with all the holes drilled in them, the structural integrity is no longer what Mother Honda had in mind. ;)

Blue One

Vendor
Bike
04 ABS ST1300
I would offer that with all the holes drilled in them, the structural integrity is no longer what Mother Honda had in mind. ;)
No, not the case at all. All of the attachment points are still there as is the general shape. Ther is still enough structural integrity left from the panels edges and shape in general as well as the mounting anchor points to allow the drilled panel to do it's job.

I most definitely agree however that the best thing I did to reduce heat was the ceramic coated exhaust.

That and the Staintunes which operate a whole lot cooler that the factory pipes.

Top Bottom