Medical Syringe for throttle cable lube

Bike
ST1300
It's been a while since I've posted, probably because I haven't ridden due to the rain and cold up here in the PNW. Had some extra time so thought I'd mention something I tried on my last maintenance project. Was in need of a lube for the throttle housing and considered using the plastic bag method outlined in the forum, but I also happened to have a medical syringe ($0.25) lying around that I recently got from my drug store. It had a "large" needle and I thought I'd see if that would work for inserting oil between the cable and housing. Turns out it worked AMAZING! No mess, fast and you can also measure how much lube is being inserted. I'm not sure why anyone would deal with taping a plastic bag around the housing just to get oil inside after doing it this way. I hope others can benefit from this tip.

It's been a while since I've posted, probably because I haven't ridden due to the rain and cold up here in the PNW. Had some extra time so thought I'd mention something I tried on my last maintenance project. Was in need of a lube for the throttle housing and considered using the plastic bag method outlined in the forum, but I also happened to have a medical syringe ($0.25) lying around that I recently got from my drug store. It had a "large" needle and I thought I'd see if that would work for inserting oil between the cable and housing. Turns out it worked AMAZING! No mess, fast and you can also measure how much lube is being inserted. I'm not sure why anyone would deal with taping a plastic bag around the housing just to get oil inside after doing it this way. I hope others can benefit from this tip.
What lube did you use?

I've used syringes for years to squirt solvents into bearings and other parts to clean them. Some of the greases used seem to be solvent resistant, unless you use a wash tank with a brush to flush and brush the grease away as its softened. Unfortunately, the drug stores tend to stock the finer needle sizes and I've found the larger ones deliver a stronger, bigger stream for getting gunk out of crevices. For a while I was buying them from veterinary supply houses. Guess it takes a bigger syringe to treat a horse or camel. BTW, most of these syringes are a one time use situation. The rubber on the plunger often does not like harsh solvents and will swell up and jam in the barrel. Sort of what happens to a brake caliper's rubber if you dose it with brake cleaner. I wonder if I can rescue them with a tiny dab of silicone grease?

If you are looking for syringes, Google "epoxy syringe" There is pretty much any size and tip configuration you can think of available. Intended for industrial applications, perfect for what we'd use 'em for.

RT

I used smaller syringes without the needle, for adding distilled water to batteries before most became "maintenance-free".
Worked a treat, to get in the individual cells without spilling it all over the top of the battery and everywhere else. Quite a difference, from pouring out of a new gallon jug. :D

I used smaller syringes without the needle, for adding distilled water to batteries before most became "maintenance-free".
Worked a treat, to get in the individual cells without spilling it all over the top of the battery and everywhere else. Quite a difference, from pouring out of a new gallon jug. :D
I use condiment bottles.

1607552431669.png

i wouldnt, the cable has a nulon coating inside, if its sticking or heavy, it should be replaced, you night think its fine for 100 or 1000 mls, then your being recovered.
iv fixed this many times for mates, they tell me that they wd40 the cable last month and it was fine,,
now, , where is the palm face emoji to i hit it ten times.

you have been warned ;)

Back
Top Bottom