Metzler Z6 Front - Change it Now?

Bike
2004 ST1300 ABS
I usually change tires in sets, but I had to change the rear tire before it wore out due to a flat (ran over a nail). My front tire (a Metzler Z6) has about 9K miles on it and I am planning on taking two trips mid April that would total around 3,500 miles. The tread on the tire looks fine at 9K miles. Should I change the front tire now at 9K miles or take a chance that the tire will make 13K miles?

Also, the current rear tire is a RoadPilot 2. Would it be OK to mount a Avon Storm front tire on the bike? I have a spare Avon Storm front tire in my garage.

Tom

My opinion..... If I felt relatively sure the tire would make it, AND there was a few days between trips where I could replace the tire just in case, AND my trip was not to a real hot destination (I learned how fast tires wear "out west" the hard way)... I would think this was a perfect opportunity to get maximum life from the current tire. Then I would mount that spare. Though it has always been my intention to have matching tires..... by luck and circumstance it has never once worked out that way.

Don

Bike
'97 ST1100
I usually put on a new front tire for every second rear tire so if your front still has plenty of meat left on it I wouldn't change it just because you bought a new rear tire

On a car, I rotate tires religiously and always change them in sets of 4 but on a bike the fronts and rears have completely different operating environments and since they obviously can't be rotated, I change them each when the tread is about 70% worn . . . . and that usually happens about twice as often for the rears as the fronts

Don

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I usually put on a new front tire for every second rear tire so if your front still has plenty of meat left on it I wouldn't change it just because you bought a new rear tire

On a car, I rotate tires religiously and always change them in sets of 4 but on a bike the fronts and rears have completely different operating environments and since they obviously can't be rotated, I change them each when the tread is about 70% worn . . . . and that usually happens about twice as often for the rears as the fronts

Don
I've found this to be true for all my bikes. The ST is looking like the exception. I have the original Bridgestones with a bit over 8,000 miles. The rear is going to go first, but the front will be pretty close to finished when they get changed. They look like they'll go 9,500 to 10,000. This is really not bad for OEM's.

Tom

My front Z6 tires are gone at about 9K miles. I'm a pretty conservative rider. I'm surprised yours still look that good. If you can get 13K out of them I'd sure like to know what you are doing that I am not. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Bike
2004 ST1300 ABS
My front Z6 tires are gone at about 9K miles. I'm a pretty conservative rider. I'm surprised yours still look that good. If you can get 13K out of them I'd sure like to know what you are doing that I am not. :rolleyes:
I've been better about keeping track of air pressure with this set of tires. However I know that this front tire has seen some serious twisties in Kentucky, WV, and Tennessee. I think that I better take another look at the tire tread. Do you know if the Metzler Z6 tires have wear bars?

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
I've been better about keeping track of air pressure with this set of tires. However I know that this front tire has seen some serious twisties in Kentucky, WV, and Tennessee. I think that I better take another look at the tire tread. Do you know if the Metzler Z6 tires have wear bars?
Yes they have wear bars. The Z6's on my FJR went 10K, with a bit left on the front and rear down to the cords. Your wear will depend on your riding style.

OP
OP
Bike
2004 ST1300 ABS
After double checking the tread on the front tire, I've decided to replace it before my trips in April. I just don't want to take a chance with it on the road.

I have a new front tire sitting in my garage and there is a NJ Tech Day scheduled for late March where I can change the tire. Maybe if the snow clears I can still get a few more local miles from the tire.

Bike
ST1100
I have 17,000+ on my Z6's and I am in the process of ordering new tires. The front is completely worn out, not bald but more worn than I like. The rear has 2-3000 miles left on it. Overall the wear has been great, handling about average. I ALWAYS opt to change tires before our big trips begin.

yogione

Vic G
Bike
'07 ST 1300
STOC #
I think the 8 -10K range is about right for the Z6 depending on how you ride and if it's single or two up. I ran them on my ST1100 and thought they were great tires.

Top Bottom