Michelin Commander III

Bike
09 ST1300A
Has any one bought or have any thoughts on the new Michelin Commander III tire ?

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
I think Lee (@beemerphile) is running one now. Hopefully he pops in here for an update. I've run many Commander IIs and really like them, but need a new one and am considering the CIII.

Bike
98 & 99 ST1100
STOC #
I think Lee (@beemerphile) is running one now. Hopefully he pops in here for an update. I've run many Commander IIs and really like them, but need a new one and am considering the CIII.
The combo is still doing well. I've gotten a good bit of wet riding on them and am satisfied. I noticed that the Commander III won Roadrunner Magazine's review of large cruiser tires, and specifically won in the wet. I'll see if I can locate a link to it.

Walleye

Site Supporter
Bike
99 ST 1100
Well I am miffed by the brevity and number of responses you've received, you must have posted during siesta hours. I have not used them but i can say many have posted on this site about them and I don't recall anything negative about those tires, some really good mileage reports. It will be my first consideration when I need a new set, that based on what reports i've read from much more knowledgeable folks than I on this site. Probably cant go wrong with them. Good Luck.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Well, the Commander IIIs are brand new, so few on here have any experience with them. Lee is the only one I’m aware of.

Bike
98 & 99 ST1100
STOC #
Yeah, they were only released in late October 2019. Between Old Man Winter and Coronaville, I doubt that anyone other than a test pilot has worn one out yet. There is plenty of info about the Commander II, but the question on most minds is whether the III is a significant improvement. All of the "reviews" are just the regurgitation of the news release that Michelin prepared and sent to every motorcycling mag or blog. My own experience with them is short. The "shoot-out review" that I mentioned turns out was in a print article and not a web link. It was an article titled "CRUISE CONTROL - Cruiser Wet Weather Comparison Test" in the August 2020 edition of RoadRunner Magazine.

Cutting to the chase...

FINISH POINTS RATING TIRE BRAND AND MODEL
1 86 Very Good Michelin Commander III
2 82 Very Good Metzeler Cruisetec
3 72 Good Bridgestone H50 Battlecruise
4 69 Good Continental Contitour
5 58 Satisfactory Mitas Custom Force
6 55 Satisfactory Pirelli Night Dragon GT
7 50 Sufficient Dunlop D401 / D401T

If you are still miffed, I can be of no further assistance until I have more experience with the tire. When I do, I will report it in my original thread on this tire set.

Bike
2007 ST1300
I have been using pilot 4 for my st1300 16,000 km with them great tires due to covid 19 I am unable to get them so so gone for Bridgestone GT which I will proform

Top Bottom