Michelin PR 2's front tire question

Does anyone know why the front PR2's tread looks like it's running backwards? It seems counterintuitive and to me it looks like it would direct water to the center. I know what was said in the other threads, 'Michelin tire engineers must know what they're doing and it does work well in the wet'. I was hoping for a little more than that...I checked the directional arrow...twice now...and for some reason they just don't look right - thanks

Rob Hephner

Mobile Pest Control
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
It is a wisk out pattern that was found to be more effective.

The water is indeed moved in, but if you look at the pattern it is moved forward and UP. This was found to drastically reduce the amount of water at the traction point and instead of moving water to the side of the contact patch at the bottom as you would typically see, the water is thrown to the side of the tire, above and away from the contact patch.

Lanny

Former Rider
Bike
None
STOC #
It is a wisk out pattern that was found to be more effective.

The water is indeed moved in, but if you look at the pattern it is moved forward and UP. This was found to drastically reduce the amount of water at the traction point and instead of moving water to the side of the contact patch at the bottom as you would typically see, the water is thrown to the side of the tire, above and away from the contact patch.
Great Answer! I had wondered about this myself....

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
It isn't just this tire. You will find that most tires are like this. When I first mounted Avon Storms on my 1100 I can't tell you how many times I checked the rotation arrow because I thought I messed up mounting the tires. I swore one had to be backwards. I did the thing where I am down on the ground moving my hand in the direction the tire would roll and everything. They were right though. It didn't stop me from checking about 15 times though.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Always remember that the pattern is reversed (with respect to the bike's direction of travel) at the contact patch compared to how we are used to looking at them from above.

Top Bottom