Mixture screw setting UK

Hey guys

As I mentioned in my "introduction post", I have a 99 ST1100 which I bought about 3 weeks ago.

I have been gradually servicing the machine as it was stood 5 years prior to me buying it. Up to now changed engine oil (Motul 5100 fully synthetic), genuine oil, air and fuel filters, changed final drive oil (Motul Gearbox 80W/90), plugs NGK Iridium CR8EHIX-9.

the bike was hesitating on acceleration, particularly around the 3 to 4k rev range so I have removed carbs and totally stripped and cleaned all the passageways, jets etc. I found quite a few of the drillings partially blocked including 3 of the pilot mixture ones. They now all have full flow.

I took the bike for its first outing yesterday and the bike now accelerates properly with no hesitation BUT it still feels a little flat to me, particularly just winding on the throttle from low revs. Perhaps I am expecting too much but I would have expected a 1100 V4 to have zipped away more than it is now.

so here is my question. When stripping the carbs, I noted down tHe existing mixture screw settings and these we're set at varying amounts from 3/4 of a turn to 2 3/4 turns. I put them back to factory settings for our region of 1 5/8 turns out from lightly seated. I have yet to do a idle drop because I haven't got a sensitive enough rev counter but I was wondering if this could be too weak and could be causing this 'flat' feel off low throttle positions. The other jets sizes are 40 pilot and 128 main.

Bike
ST1100/ST1300
STOC #
1 5/8 is too lean. You already have the #40 pilot / slow speed jets with the 128 mains. Idle drop procedure can be very tricky and will bring your tune at around two turn's out anyways. Set your idle mixture screws at 2 turns out.

After you change the idle mixture screws, remember that this will change your carburetor's synchronization settings. Re-synch the carbs... Set idle speed to 1000rpm before and after the synch.

After all of the work you've done, I hope to God you put on a new OEM fuel filter and a new OEM air filter. No need to spoil those fresh carbs.... Enjoy your newfound mid-range power!

OP
OP
1 5/8 is too lean. You already have the #40 pilot / slow speed jets with the 128 mains. Idle drop procedure can be very tricky and will bring your tune at around two turn's out anyways. Set your idle mixture screws at 2 turns out.

After you change the idle mixture screws, remember that this will change your carburetor's synchronization settings. Re-synch the carbs... Set idle speed to 1000rpm before and after the synch.

After all of the work you've done, I hope to God you put on a new OEM fuel filter and a new OEM air filter. No need to spoil those fresh carbs.... Enjoy your newfound mid-range power!
Yeah thanks Adam, new OEM filters all fitted

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
After you change the idle mixture screws, remember that this will change your carburetor's synchronization settings.
+1...
And 1000rpm with headlights on, 1100rpm when off...

As setting the idle mixture with an emission tester won't work (lack of access ports in downpipes), use of a glass spark plug* might be a good alternative:
http://www.carbtune.co.uk/colortune.html
(* another project I've on the back-burner for quite some time now...)

Top Bottom