Modded Stock Exhaust

Bike
'07 ST1300
STOC #
Let me start off by saying I like how quiet my ST is. I personally am NOT a subscriber to the "Loud pipes save lives" way of thinking!

THAT BEING SAID, with my last bike, a VTX, I did want it a LITTLE louder, but not straight-pipe loud. Just something with a little rumble, kinda like one of my old built up big-block Fords I used to run around in! I was able to drill a few holes in the end plates of stock pipes (I loved their look) of the VTX to increase the sound a LITTLE, and was pleased with it.

I find it to be cost prohibitive to spend $800+ for a new set of mufflers:22yikes:. To my way of thinking, that's crazy, but YMMV:p:. There are a lot of other farkles that I'd do with that kind of money!!

I've searched the threads, found the one by 100MPG (but have not had a chance to listen to the sound bites), and then this morning I found a guy on eBay and saw the picture below. What the heck did he do? Drill through the ends of the covers? Not sure I'd want to do that to the stock, stainless steel mufflers. Other than opening up the mufflers like 100MPG did, is there any other alternatives to increasing the rumble A LITTLE without ruining anything? Any adverse side effects that I haven't considered?

Last edited:
Reactions: Djc
Bike
2006 ST1300
Did you see my post in 100 mpg's post?

I wouldn't do as the pic you found did, it will sound exactly like it is...A muffler with a hole in it.

When I had my XX, I and several on the XX site Modded the stock exhaust and one of the things tried was more holes in the end. Sounded terrible.

Best way is to bypass the inernal baffles and allow a more straight shot through.

Edit: Just saw the plate on that pic, wonder if he had an XX before the ST like me.

Bike
ST1100
Yeah i have done the drill out the exhaust thing. Helped with a slightly better rumble and at full noise it barks with a nice backfire at low reves. Fuel consumption I get on average cruising at 100kph just on 22 kph per litre. X 4.459 for the gallon conversion.. at 80kph or 50mph it climbs up to 24kph on average throttle response is not as jerky in first or second in traffic overall I'm happy with the mod. She is still quiet at city speeds with just enough nose to let the guy next to you know your around without being obtrusive. At full noise she still has enough to scare both you and the natives.

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
Being illegal aside, the only point I will add with drill/punching the exhaust is if the catalytic converter is in the muffler as well.
Cat's have some nasty materials (heavy metals) in them that are dangerous if you inhale them etc.
I'm not sure if modifying the exhaust in these ways would damage release the CAT stuff of not.
So, choose what you wish to do, but at least be aware of the possible consequences.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
You'd probably have to punch pretty deep to release the cat material to atmosphere. I'm through with any backfire/popping on decel and don't need an exhaust note competing with wind noise. Were it a big twin I could change my mind.

Top Bottom