Modern Steelmate TP Pro 90 - cheap rubbish - updated

Bike
2005 GL1800
Just over a year ago I purchased a Steelmate TP Pro 90 from the US for fitting to my Goldwing.
I wanted a Steelmate as I already have one fitted to my ST1100 Pan European and am happy with it.
Today I was doing some routine service checks and, as the tpms seemed to be a bit "inaccurate", was checking the actual tyre pressures by removing the transmitters, and setting the pressures with a trusted gauge.
When I went to remove the transmitter from the rear wheel, I turned it 1/2 a turn and it blew off into my hand.
Upon investigating it appears that the female thread that screw onto the valve is made of plastic and was stripped.
I did the pressure check and as an experiment I tried to re-install the transmitter......it just kept turning and blowing off.

I double checked the Steelmate transmitters on my ST1100 and those are brass fittings.
I have now removed the remaining front wheel transmitter and the digital display that was mounted on the handlebars and will continue without a tpms on the Goldwing.

Very disappointed that what used to be a quality product has been reduced to garbage.

Ride safe folks
Don

20th March 2022

Update - After doing some searching on the internet I have found that the Steelmate UK website lists 2 x tpms systems that look identical to the one I mentioned above. One is about the same price as the one I purchased last year and is now "discontinued" .
The one that is still available is roughly 50% more expensive....so it is probable that they have reverted to the brass threaded inserts.
I will need to contact them and ask the question :)

Keep riding safe folks
Don

Last edited:
Top Bottom