modifying a audiovox electric servo

i'm talking about the non vacume servo type. a little bit of back round info. i have been trying to resuscitate my audiovox vacume servo unit over the last few months..frankly i'm starting to loose faith, that it can be brought back to life. and am starting to look at the new generation cruise control from audiovox. on the old style unit, i shortened the absurdly long control cable(throttle control- it seened to be 6' long)to a more reasonable 14" - it wasn't easy -took a few hours and some silver solder. can the new generation control cable be disconnected from the servo to facilitate this same modifycation?( fwiw- the old instal,l i placed the servo in the rt fairing- it might be that it enjoyed too high of temps in that location- so this time around it'll probably be stationed in the tool cavity,- either way i'll want to shroten this too) also- can this model be installed on a 1100 without the need to buy a siganl divider? thanking all in advance-warren

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
You shouldn't need a signal divider. The signal divider is needed on the 1300 because the people that install it pick up off the VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) on the 1300. The 1100 has a mechanical speedometer so it doesn't have a VSS. You might be able to pick up this pulse off of a coil or you will have to most likely do the magnet thing on a wheel. I am not sure how else you will get the signal that the electronic model needs to know the engine or vehicle speed. Either way your pulse signal will not be too fast where it will need a divider like the 1300 needs.

I haven't done an install of an Audiovox but I have been looking at them. So I can't help with the other questions.

Avtrician

I certainly wouldnt pick off a signal from the plug wire, as it is serveral thousand volts.

It would be better t use the Yellow or white /Yellow wire from the ignition pulse generator, or the yellow/blue, Blue/yellow wire to the coils.

Should be easy to get at as well.

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
Yeah, I agree, you don't want the actual plug wire. Not only is it really high voltage but you want all that power going to the plug. You would either want to go with the signal cable or maybe they make something that wraps the plug wire like what is used in a timing light.

STOC #
I wasn't referring to opening up the plug wire. Many older cruise control systems worked by wrapping a signal wire around the plug wire insulation. The signal wire picked up the plug pulses inductively, just like a tachometer.

So... does the kit provide other ways of speed determination, other than the vehicle speed sensor?

Avtrician

I would imagine it would have a speed sense line, this just reads pulses generated by the speed sensor. As the ST1100 has a mechanical speedo, this cant be used.

I would suggest that the ignition pulse generator could be used instead, as the cruise contol only needs to sense if the pulses are steady, dropping or rising. The source of the pulses shouldnt matter too much.

The specs for the cruise control may tell what sort of a signal level is needed, and if necessary, a simple voltage divider could me made using high value resistors. (to limit loading of the pulse system.)

Bike
ex-ST'r
STOC #
The new kit 250-1316 has provisions for high speed VSS or magnets (magnet kit not included). If you have magnets from the old cruise, they should work.

Top Bottom