Moldy Cooling Vest

Mountain Mike

I frequent the IBA Motel
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Just wanted to share an experience to those considering cooling vests.

I wore one for two days across Texas and New Mexico, they work in dry climate like you wouldn't believe, but tend to smell fishy after extended use (likely a mix of silica and sweat).

My problem was when I got to New Mexico and tossed them into a saddlebag for a week. In my bag under the hot sun they started to develop black spots of mold.

So when you are not using them, let them dry completely out on a hanger like the instructions say.

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
Yup, been there done that. They do stink! Mine even started to stink again after washing it. I think once it stinks you will never get the smell out.

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
I have had the issue a couple of times, it doesn't take long for mold to start on them if you don't let them air dry.

My solution is to soak the vest so it is *completely* saturated and then to throw it in the washing machine with just a bit of detergent on the gentle cycle.

Fixed the mold and smell issue.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
What brand and model?... please.

I've stored my Marsee cooling vest charged in a big ziploc bag just inside the saddlebag cover for over a week on long trips, more than once. Never a problem. Maybe its hydroweave fabric works better than the crystals-stuffed-in-tubes type of vest. I've got one of those construction-worker cooling vests that I've relegated to lawn mowing duty. It never got moldy but did get slimey and stink a bit when kept wet for long periods of time.

IMHO, look for genuine hydroweave fabric when shopping for an evaporative cooling vest.

Regards, John

OP
OP
Mountain Mike

Mountain Mike

I frequent the IBA Motel
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
What brand and model?... please.

I've stored my Marsee cooling vest charged in a big ziploc bag just inside the saddlebag cover for over a week on long trips, more than once. Never a problem. Maybe its hydroweave fabric works better than the crystals-stuffed-in-tubes type of vest. I've got one of those construction-worker cooling vests that I've relegated to lawn mowing duty. It never got moldy but did get slimey and stink a bit when kept wet for long periods of time.

IMHO, look for genuine hydroweave fabric when shopping for an evaporative cooling vest.

Regards, John
That probably is the issue right there, I bought the cheapest of the cheap construction worker vest without mold resistant fabric.

Odd trivia, the crystals in our "Tube Vests" are the same as absorbent diapers.

Top Bottom