Molex connectors and pins -- source?

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I bought this kit from Amazon that many of us have used, and while the plastic connectors are suitable, the blades / male pins (circled in RED below) do not seem to click into place. They will go into the connector, but they are not firm and stable; they wiggle around. I think the little "whisker" that locks it into place in the connector housing is a bit feeble and weak. It's almost as if I need to put a hardening epoxy in the bottom to keep them lined up properly, like we see in some electronic connections. I don't have any of that.
My crimps themselves look really good, in my opinion, but I am thinking this Chinese-sourced kit just has inferior pins in it.
Quality issue? Where do we find "the good stuff"?

Molex kit Amazon.jpg

OP
OP
Sadlsor

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Thanks so much!
Appears to be exact-ickly what I'm looking for.
I can check with my crimpers; I'm thinking all the spare Molex connector wires in the quartet harness are 14-18ga, as I'll have to specify which size upon ordering.
Bookmarked; I'll order some shortly.

OP
OP
Sadlsor

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Thought I'd seen some when I was looking around earlier today. Maybe they were just part of some of his kits.
My thought is, my Amazon Chinese kit just had crummy pins. The white plastic connectors appear to be fine, but I spoke with @Igofar a while ago and he said they may be suspect as well.
I think my kit was branded "Quarf" or something, but they are all essentially the same kit. When I went to look on Amazon just now, the main offering is from "WMyCongCong" or similar.
Chinese copies are copies, so there's some possible decrease in precision and maybe measurements.
Once again, the lesson to be learned is ...

There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey.

John Ruskin

STRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
I understand that quality can vary radically even between third or fourth tier suppliers, but I've been very satisfied with with those in my Amazon-sourced kit.

I've found that if I insert the male terminals too far into the anvils of the crimper (where they "look as if they're correctly positioned") the terminal can bend in the middle and distort the retaining tang. Manually straightening the terminal and using a sharp pick to straighten the tang has always returned the terminal to perfect functionality in my experience. I've learned to position the terminal slightly differently between the anvils and have been very satisfied with the result each and every time now.

The white plastic connectors appear to be fine, but I spoke with @Igofar a while ago and he said they may be suspect as well.?
@Igofar please share your concerns with the connectors with the rest of the class. I think mine are perfectly acceptable for the intended application.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Having not seen them, or used them, I can't really comment more than what I explained to our friend on the phone this morning, and that would be "my guess" would be the quality control of the plastic fittings, or the inserts may not be up to par, and this may be what was causing the connections to be loose and move around etc.
We agreed that since they came off Amazon, and probably came from China, that perhaps there were better connectors out there etc.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Quality issue? Where do we find "the good stuff"?
Eastern Beaver. He sources only quality parts. The shipping, however, for a low $ value order will make the connectors expensive. And, last time I ordered, his prices are not competitive with Amazon (you can also say it this way...Amazon's quality is not competitive w/ Eastern Beaver's).

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Chinese copies are copies, so there's some possible decrease in precision and maybe measurements.
Already their alloys are junk and will crack & crumble upon crimping them... a case for the bin...
Decent ones that last, fit properly (into the casing as well as the die of your tools) and won't corrode upon only breathing on them, will cost some $$$, but spare you the hustle...

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Eastern Beaver. He sources only quality parts. The shipping, however, for a low $ value order will make the connectors expensive. And, last time I ordered, his prices are not competitive with Amazon (you can also say it this way...Amazon's quality is not competitive w/ Eastern Beaver's).
My vote goes to Joe at Cycle Terminal. I have had no complaint about the quality, and Joe was great to deal with when I had a question. His prices were reasonable and shipping was cheap and plenty quick enough. I consider him local insofar as the world of online shopping goes, which I prefer to support. It would have to be something that only Eastern Beaver has before I'll even look there because of their insane shipping charges.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
before I'll even look there because of their insane shipping charges.
Justifiable or not one look at shipping put him in "the last hope for mankind" category for me. I've ordered watches from Japan that had very reasonable shipping charges compared to the o_O of EB.

Top Bottom