More On Ipods & MP3

Louie Louie said:
Why is the sound better w/ plugs in. I also ride w/ plugs (Er6i's) and think they are great.

It seems to give a richer sound with more bass. I have played with the equalizer on the unit to get what to me sounds best.

I think with out the plugs you are hearing all the wind noise which seems to make the highs more noticeable. Subjective?

Ken said:
Hi Louie!

Which leads me to the Apple iPod Nano. Having tried the standard (click wheel) iPod and the Shuffle on the bike, I wasn't thrilled with either. If I'm going to ride a few hundred miles, I want to choose my songs and am not content to do shuffle all day long. The Nano is a nice solution. It's easy to use. The controls are easy to get to and can be controlled with all but the thickest of gloves (or, at least they work fine with GX Air mesh gloves and Held Steve gloves). There are many accessories available for them, including a very nice waterproof case made by Otter. And with a 1GB model available for $140 and a 2Gb for $185, it's reasonably priced. Since I usually ride with a tank bag, I toss the player in the bag and have not mounted one to the bike. I'm not an Apple computer user at all, but I am an ardent fan of iTunes and iPods. They just work.

Thanks for the GREAT note Ken. I think I will go w/ the Nano route. I heard the black one scratches easily so will probably go w/ a white one.

Flymhi said:
They now have an airclick that works for the Nano and the Video Ipod. You can find them on Ebay foe $25 (shipped). :D Works great!
What exactly does the airclick do?
Thanks

I currently ride with my iPod in the inside jacket pocket of my JR Phoenix 4.0. I used to be the same kind of "purist" as Pags and wouldn't have imagined using earbuds while on the bike. I've converted. It is possible to have the music playing and still have an awareness of what's going on around me.

One note of caution to those using the iPod in the tank bags...particularly the magnetic tank bags. Becareful how close to the bottom of the bag you place the iPod. Don't ask me how I know this (sorry, wrong thread), but if you put the iPod on the bottom of the magnetic tank bag, those magnets work some magic on the magnetic hard drive of the iPod and it becomes a cute little paper weight.

MLRickards said:
Don't ask me how I know this (sorry, wrong thread), but if you put the iPod on the bottom of the magnetic tank bag, those magnets work some magic on the magnetic hard drive of the iPod and it becomes a cute little paper weight.

So how do you know this? Ooop. Sorry. I wasn't supposed to ask that. :p:

Louie,

I'll take a pic tonight. It's an Ipod remote that straps to the handlebar. I put my video Ipod in the pocket and it's wired into my autocom. Works great so far.

Changing the subject slightly

Has anyone ever put the Ipod in the glove box? Does it get too hot for the Ipod?

Or I was thinking of applying velcro and just attaching the ipod to the top lid of the box.....:eek:

Stumpy,

I put mine in the left glovebox with no heat issues. I keep it wrapped up in a sock but mainly to keep it from getting scuffed. I have the silicon sleeve but the airclick reciever doesn't like to stay docked with the skin on.;)

I have a Creative Zen Micro 6GB running through a Starcom1 Advance. I through it on shuffle on the highway, but listen to the FM radio with it when in town. I can work the buttons with gloves on through my map pocket.

It will be mounted in a RAM Aqua Box tomorrow once Purolator comes. Not sure what side I want it on yet, but probably the throttle side so that my FRS/GMRS/HAM (not sure which one yet) will be mounted on the clutch side.

Back
Top Bottom