More questions than answers

STOC #
I've read many of the threads here in the Cameras forum, and I still have more questions than I can get answers for. Here are just a few of my many questions. Any answers, leads, ideas, etc. would be much appreciated. I'd really like to get something set up before we get too far into this year's riding season.

I want to shoot video while I'm riding. I want the video POV to be the bike, not the rider, which means no helmet cam. I want to mount the camera on the bike itself, not on the handlebars, so I get a stable view of the road. should I use a bullet cam or should I mount the camera itself? Will I get good results from mounting the camera where it has to shoot through the windshield?

If I use a bullet cam, are they available in 16x9 wide screen format? Or just in 4x3?

If a bullet cam is available in 16x9, then I need to find a camera with a video input. There doesn't seem to be many cameras that offer this feature.

Many folks have commented here about vibration causing problems with some recording formats. My choices seem to be MiniDV tape, hard drive, DVD, and flash drive. The flash drive appeals to me most because of no moving parts, but that format seems to have a 4GB limit, since that's the biggest flash card currently available. What vibration problems have people experienced?

I really want to go with 16x9 since it's pretty much the standard now for tv's and computer monitors. Some of the cams I've researched will only shoot in 16x9 at high res settings, which means more memory used for every minute of video. I think that 480 lines is going to be good enough res, but how many cams will do this in wide screen mode?

And finally, who's got what out there? How does it work for you? Thanks in advance for any input you can offer that will help me wade through all these decisions!

Bike
2005 ST 1300
I want to shoot video while I'm riding. I want the video POV to be the bike, not the rider, which means no helmet cam. I want to mount the camera on the bike itself, not on the handlebars, so I get a stable view of the road. should I use a bullet cam or should I mount the camera itself? Will I get good results from mounting the camera where it has to shoot through the windshield?
Hello,

I do not run DVD , but do photo so I can offer some ideas on what I've seen and read.

Myself, I would most likely put two or three "cams" hard mounted on bike and run into switch box. This allows you to choose your various "shots" front, rear and maybe lower fork angel of the road. I would alos take a good solid look at the vibration issue. I would maybe put DVD on person or padded tank bag. I here some models are able to beat the vibes (but for how long). I have yet to hear of "harening" being done in DVD equipment like they do in GPS.

STOC #
I'm at work so I can't post any pics of my set up, but it is pretty simple. I use a Kodak 6 MP digital camera set on video. I have several SD cards and the 1 gig will get a couple of hours video time. It works pretty well to me. I bought a Turbo city toms (I'm pretty sure thats where I got it) left dash shelf for a radar detector and drilled a couple of off-set holes in the shelf. I bolted a short piece of aluminum (maybe 3" wide) under the dash shelf and cut it long enough to run just over center of the dash. This was a little to shakey for the camera, so I bent a piece of aluminum into a small hook on one end so it would grab in between the slots of the plastic dash and curve under the end of the piece of aluminum flat bar. I drilled and used a quarter inch bolt to secure the 2 pieces of aluminum together. It made it really stable and doesn't pull on the dash, the dash only supports it and the hook doesn't allow it to slide off. The quarter inch bolt that secures the 2 pieces of aluminum together was run through the bottom so the threads stick out the top. I screw my camera onto the bolt using the tripod insert in the bottom of the camera. All I have to do is set it to video and push the button. You can't see any of the guages (sometimes that is neat to watch), but where it is mounted, you have the protection of the windshield, and the windshield brackets don't block the view.

OP
OP
gnorts
STOC #
Sparky's post got me thinking - I went to the manuals for the two digital still cameras I have, and they both do movies, but one is limited to a clip length of 60 seconds, the other one to 3 minutes. Blast. The quest goes on...

STOC #
Here's some pics of my camera mount. Like I said, it's really simple, but works so far. I was going to take some pics of the camera mounted on the bike, but... well you know.

Eventually, I'll paint the aluminum black so it doesn't stand out so much. I'm not planning on leaving it on there permanently, it's only 3 bolts and it comes right off. I'm using an inexpensive Kodak Z760 6MP digital camera, and like I said earlier, my 1 gig card will get around 2 hours of video.

I posted a video on You tube of me trying it while on my way to work the other night.

Attachments

Last edited:

1TallTXn

Its riding time!
Something to think about, most of the Digi still cams that I've seen shoot at 640x480 (4:3) and 15fps. NTSC standard is 29.97 (30) fps. Its is a noticable difference.
My Canon A570IS does take 30fps video and is only limited by the size of the card for length.

Personally I would go the bullet camera route (not sure of the 16:9 vs 4:3 quandry) and hook it to something like a Canon ZR series. I'm 99% sure the ZRs allow analog inputs. Buy some 90min MiniDV tapes, run it on LP and you should have 2hrs of recording before having to change the tape.
Buy the uber big battery for the ZR and you should only have to change tapes and record all day.

STOC #
I've read many of the threads here in the Cameras forum, and I still have more questions than I can get answers for. Here are just a few of my many questions. Any answers, leads, ideas, etc. would be much appreciated. I'd really like to get something set up before we get too far into this year's riding season.
One method is simple in theory if you are willing to put some parts and pieces together. Use the HelmetCamera.com cameras mounted on various surfaces on your bike, for example one mounted which points to the front, one mounted to the rear, one mounted toward the rider and one mounted toward the right. Run the leads from each of these cameras to a central point and plug them into a 4-way analog switch box. The switch box needs to be within easy reach such as a shelf above your instrument panel. Run a leads from the switch box to your recording device stored in a tank bag, rear bag, top box, etc. Add batteries and tape and start recording.

There are advantages and disadvantages to each method of mounting. To hard mount a video camera you are most likely going to be forced to cut on your pride and joy to get to a hard mount. That or fabricate some type of metal mounting system which will bolt to hard metal framing and stick out somehow through current openings in your fairing. Vibration are funny, in some cases I have gotten smoother video when the video camera has been mounted to plastic. Other times I have gotten better results plugging directly into the metal frame.

Sometimes the speed of the engine will determine how much vibration each individual bike will transfer to tape. The ST1300 is a pretty stable platform but each camera mount location is going to be effected more at one specific rpm setting than others and most likely these will be different.

The best results I have had is shooting directly to the videocam. I can set the zoom specifically for the field of view I want depending on the type of shooting, such as open road shooting as compared to following another rider.

If the rider is inexperienced or his/her ability unknown, I will increase zoom a bit allowing the rider to fill more of the viewing area, but be able to hold back and add a little more distance between me and them as I am trailing them.

If the rider is more experienced (or more trusted), I can zoom back the lens and get in tighter for a better shot, especially around curves in the twisties.

Shooting directly to the videocam also allows me to shoot in widescreen mode at a much higher resolution than available from the HelmetCamera.com units (and BTW, I do use them and the highest resolution available).

I don?t care for recording video through windshields, although this is a technique to be used occasionally, because it is another surface to deal with which will proved dirt, haze, and unpredictable glare and reflections.

If I use a bullet cam, are they available in 16x9 wide screen format? Or just in 4x3?

If a bullet cam is available in 16x9, then I need to find a camera with a video input. There doesn't seem to be many cameras that offer this feature.
There are no bullet cam cameras I am aware of which provide 16:9 format

Many folks have commented here about vibration causing problems with some recording formats. My choices seem to be MiniDV tape, hard drive, DVD, and flash drive. The flash drive appeals to me most because of no moving parts, but that format seems to have a 4GB limit, since that's the biggest flash card currently available. What vibration problems have people experienced?
If you are going to use HelmetCamera.com camera units, the only vibration protection you will need is for the recording device. This can be as simple as laying the recorder (videocam) on a layer of soft foam.

You will probably get better results from any of the many MiniCam?s available from Sony, Toshiba, Panasonic or Canon. For $350-$650 you can get a videocam with all the bells and whistles you may want for other types of hand held shooting, as well as the analog inputs needed to hook up to the HelmetCamera units and digital transfer to your authoring software.

If your going to mount the videocam directly to a hard mount there is always a risk of premature failure due to vibration transfer. I have used two Canon Elura 100 Digital MiniCam?s and one Panasonic PV-GS400 directly hard mounted without ill effect to the videocam units so far! But there is no guarantees.

I really want to go with 16x9 since it's pretty much the standard now for tv's and computer monitors. Some of the cams I've researched will only shoot in 16x9 at high res settings, which means more memory used for every minute of video. I think that 480 lines is going to be good enough res, but how many cams will do this in wide screen mode?

And finally, who's got what out there? How does it work for you? Thanks in advance for any input you can offer that will help me wade through all these decisions!
I?ve tried several different bullet cam type cameras and by far the HelmetCamera units are the best and offer the most support and options. BTW, I have found them to answer the phone quickly, respond to any problems and ship quickly any support items I have needed.

Although I shoot many segments in the 4:3 aspect ratio, I produce the DVD in 16:9 and usually have a lot of 16:9 footage mixed into 4:3 footage. But if you want the entire DVD production to be in 16:9, you are going to have to tape it directly with a VideoCam rather than a bullet cam or HelmetCamera.

Hope some of this helps. There are no sources to my knowledge which will provide a canned solution for under $4,000. So most riders have been making up their own solution from parts and pieces. There are as many different ideas and applications being used as there are parts and pieces, so none of us have the final word. Just ideas and I?m ready to steal any ideas when I hear of them if it will solve any of the many problems I still have!!!!

Top Bottom