Motogoloco route planning website is temporarily out of commission

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
My go to website for planning routes and converting files to KML has encountered an issue with GoogleMaps. https://www.motogoloco.com/map-W21page-26

As a Mac user this was an excellent free service for me to use when planning routes and exporting them to my Chinavasion GPS..... now I have to find another solution.

Apparently "Google my maps" will allow me to plan the route and export to KML, thus begins the learning curve. aghhhhhhhhh.... ;)

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Yep, Motogoloco has been out of commission for many months now, maybe since last October or so.

Like you, it was my goto site and worked great to get routes into my Chinavasion GPS. Hope they can sort things out. For now, I've just been creating the route in Google Maps and then programming that route directly on the GPS. I've not been successful in easily getting a KML out of Google Maps, but I haven't tried too hard either. Let us know if you figure the Google/KML out.

OP
OP
kiltman

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
I think I may have found it. Here are the instructions and I was able to save a route to KML and upload it to my computer, then transfer to my microcard on the GPS.
After adding a marker or waypoint on the map you can save the waypoint with a name, then you can go back to the marker icon click it and create your next waypoint. It's easier than I thought.
Google Maps KML Export
You can edit a map using Google Maps's My Maps feature and add points of interest. Then, have Google Maps export the points you draw as a KML file.

First, go to the Google My Maps website at mymaps.google.com and log in to your Google account. Create a free one if you don't already have one, using a username and password of your choice. Then, click "Create a New Map." Click where it says "Untitled map" to give your map a name and description.

Edit the map as you see fit, zooming in and out, panning, adding markers and drawing lines using the toolbar icons. When you're satisfied, click the menu button and click "Export to KML/KMZ." If you want the map file you download to be a link to a map you maintain online and can keep changing, click "Keep data up to date." Otherwise, you'll create a static file that won't change if you continue to modify the online map.

If you want a standalone KML file, check the "Export to a .KML file." Otherwise, you'll create a zipped .KMZ file which will also include any custom icons you've used in the map but may be more complex for some software to open. Either way, click "Save" and choose a location for your map.

Last edited:
OP
OP
kiltman

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
I just went to the Kurviger website. After entering a destination, it did not create a route.
Is this not for computer use? No interest in an 'app' or using on a device.
I was able to create a route and save it to the computer and it's available to upload to my microcard. There is an option to send the route to your phone or ipad if you wish.

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
I was able to create a route and save it to the computer and it's available to upload to my microcard. There is an option to send the route to your phone or ipad if you wish.
It worked second time around Robert.
Looks like it coverts directly to .kml for IGO8 to use with our Chinavasion units?
Interesting routing options. May be quite handy.
How do you send it to the card?

Bike
2012 ST1300
STOC #
It died February 7th. I switched to myrouteapp. Very happy, never looking back.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
kiltman

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
It worked second time around Robert.
Looks like it coverts directly to .kml for IGO8 to use with our Chinavasion units?
Interesting routing options. May be quite handy.
How do you send it to the card?
Yes you can select the KML version to download to your computer. You have to either hook the gps to your computer via the USB port or pop the card put it in a adapter to connect to your computer. Either way it shows up as a drive. Drag the recently downloaded file to the card drive and pop it into the contents folder then into routes. Pop the card back into the gps. Select load routes and find the file. ( the file may have a street name from the town you are going to or starting out from) Then resave it with a name that you can call it up again later when you need it

Top Bottom