Motorcycle Safety Volunteer Riders for MS in PA

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
The National Multiple Sclerosis Society hosts several bicycle riding events throughout the year and needs Motorcycle Support volunteers to assist.

OhioDeere started a post for their event in June which due to CORVID-19 has been canceled.

I've received information that there are 2 Pennsylvania events still being scheduled and volunteers are needed, 7 for each event. Volunteers will ride the route, man designated areas that could be potentially hazardous to cyclists, assist riders with problems and guide riders who may be lost back to the course. Volunteers will work with staff and law enforcement to guarantee safety for our riders. Motorcycle safety volunteers must have their own motorcycle, helmet, valid motorcycle license and insurance.

Events:

The first is the "2020 Bike MS: Glimcher Keystone Ride" on July 18 (Sat) and 19 (Sun) which will start and finish at the Holidaysburg Senior High School in . . . Holidaysburg, PA.
Info and sign up is at: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/2020bikemsgkcr

The second event is the "2020 Bike MS: Cook Forest River Ride" on September 19 (Sat) which will start and finish at Cook Forest State Park, PA.
Info and sign up is at: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/bikemscookforest2020

I've signed up for both events. Time will tell if they'll be able to run as planned. In signing up, I did not download nor do anything regarding the "Volunteer Consent Form." If it's required, I'm sure I'll hear about it later as the event draws near.

That's it. Hopefully some of you reading this will want to sign up. It'd be great to have an st-owners volunteer group supporting this worth while event.

Stay healthy,
Shuey

PS: Should anyone be interested in joining in and looking for a place to stay, my reservations have been made as follows, join me if you'd like:

Friday/Saturday, 17/18Jul20
Rodeway Inn
1500 Sterling St
Altoona, PA
I plan on riding somewhere at the end of the MS Ride on Sunday to enjoy the rest of the daylight! :)

Friday, 18Sep20
Quality Inn
129 Dolby St
Clarion, PA
I plan on riding somewhere at the end of the MS Ride to enjoy the rest of the daylight! :)

Last edited:

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
Thanks for doing this. This year come July makes 20 years since my diagnosis for MS. Most of the events have been cancelled up here.

fnmag

R.I.P. - 2020
Rest In Peace
Bike
'06 ST1300/Burgmn400
Thanks for doing this. This year come July makes 20 years since my diagnosis for MS. Most of the events have been cancelled up here.
Sorry to hear this, I did not know.
You seem to be 'handling' it.

OP
OP
Shuey

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
I started raising money for MS research when I was 12 or so, selling lemonade on the sidewalk in front of my house with some other neighbor kids. I've donated off and on through the years and am looking forward to the possibility of again providing some active support.

Stay healthy,
Shuey

PS: Thanks go to OhioDeere for bringing this opportunity to our attention. I knew nothing about this until he posted the June event up. Thanks Doug.

PPS: Hopefully we'll get to meet up at these events Steve and . . . possibly see some of our other riding friends. I look forward to you showing me the ropes on how to do this.

OP
OP
Shuey

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
As we get closer let me know where you are going to stay.
Thanks for the nudge Steve. I reserved a room at the least expensive, park-in-front of the room hotel I could find:

Arriving Friday, 17Jul and departing on Sunday, 19Jul. I'll check out in the morning and plan on riding in some direction or other for a bit after the end of the event on Sunday.
Rodeway Inn
1500 Sterling St
Altoona, PA

It's about 10 minutes from the high school.

Shuey

OP
OP
Shuey

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
SteveST1300 has joined in for both events. We're still looking for 5 more friends to join us.

Should anyone be interested in joining in and looking for a place to stay, my reservations have been made as follows for both events, join me if you'd like:

Rodeway Inn
1500 Sterling St
Altoona, PA
I plan on riding somewhere at the end of the MS Ride on Sunday to enjoy the rest of the daylight! :)

Friday, 18Sep20
Quality Inn
129 Dolby St
Clarion, PA
I plan on riding somewhere at the end of the MS Ride to enjoy the rest of the daylight! :)

(info added to Post#1 also)

Shuey

OP
OP
Shuey

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
CANCELED - as of 17Jun20

Well, just received notice that the Glimcher Keystone Ride on July 18 (Sat) and 19 (Sun) has been canceled.

I'm guessing the Cook Forest River Ride is also being canceled, but I've emailed the contact person to confirm. I've canceled all my reservations for both events! :(

Was looking forward to this . . . time will tell what the Covid future will allow.

Shuey

Last edited:
The National Multiple Sclerosis Society hosts several bicycle riding events throughout the year and needs Motorcycle Support volunteers to assist.

OhioDeere started a post for their event in June which due to CORVID-19 has been canceled.

I've received information that there are 2 Pennsylvania events still being scheduled and volunteers are needed, 7 for each event. Volunteers will ride the route, man designated areas that could be potentially hazardous to cyclists, assist riders with problems and guide riders who may be lost back to the course. Volunteers will work with staff and law enforcement to guarantee safety for our riders. Motorcycle safety volunteers must have their own motorcycle, helmet, valid motorcycle license and insurance.

Events:

The first is the "2020 Bike MS: Glimcher Keystone Ride" on July 18 (Sat) and 19 (Sun) which will start and finish at the Holidaysburg Senior High School in . . . Holidaysburg, PA.
Info and sign up is at: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/2020bikemsgkcr

The second event is the "2020 Bike MS: Cook Forest River Ride" on September 19 (Sat) which will start and finish at Cook Forest State Park, PA.
Info and sign up is at: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/bikemscookforest2020

I've signed up for both events. Time will tell if they'll be able to run as planned. In signing up, I did not download nor do anything regarding the "Volunteer Consent Form." If it's required, I'm sure I'll hear about it later as the event draws near.

That's it. Hopefully some of you reading this will want to sign up. It'd be great to have an st-owners volunteer group supporting this worth while event.

Stay healthy,
Shuey

PS: Should anyone be interested in joining in and looking for a place to stay, my reservations have been made as follows, join me if you'd like:

Rodeway Inn
1500 Sterling St
Altoona, PA

Friday, 18Sep20
Quality Inn
129 Dolby St
Clarion, PA

You're welcome to my place/garage in Portersville, PA for either event in stead of a motel. I'm an hour from Clarion and 2+ to Holidaysburg. I'll be signing up for both tomorrow.

Cheers

OP
OP
Shuey

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
You're welcome to my place/garage in Portersville, PA for either event in stead of a motel. I'm an hour from Clarion and 2+ to Holidaysburg. I'll be signing up for both tomorrow.
Cheers
Really appreciate the offer, but . . . both events have been canceled (see Post #10). However, I'll let you know when I'm next up that way and maybe you can show me around some local roads.

Shuey

OP
OP
Shuey

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Hi BlackBetty,

I tried to start a "Conversation" with you, but the system won't let me send you something that way (no clue why not, curious) . . . so, I'll send it here.

Welcome to st-owners. Just wanted to thank you again for your generous offer. To bad the MS events were canceled, but probably the right call for now.

Here's my contact information and if you want to share yours (hopefully you can either post it up on the RAN list, start a Conversation with me, or send me a direct email), I'll include it on my personal contact list in hopes of coordinating getting together in the future.

Let me know if there's anything I can help you with and you're absolutely welcome to stay at my house here in Florida (Central Time Zone) should you ever come down this way, regardless of mode of transportation. Significant others also welcome.

Look forward to meeting you, stay healthy,
Shuey

Shuey Wolfe
300 Oaklake Lane
Niceville, FL 32578
e: shuey@cox.net

PS: You can always access my phone number and location on the RAN list. You'll find it under the "Riding" sub-menu at the top of the screen, then U.S. RAN List, then scroll to Florida entries.

Thank you for your thoughtful reply, Shuey. I had to register a new account with st-owners, as I'd forgotten my previous credentials. I believe this is the SNAFU in not being able to PM.

I'll learn my way around the site a bit better and message you once I've been vetted and approved. TTFN

~Ben

Top Bottom