Motorcycle storage boxes

Bike
2014 ST1300
Any recommendations for a storage box you can keep your bike in that is waterproof and rodent proof? The new house has a carport and not a garage and I need a way to store the bike that is secure and the mice can't get to.

The ones I found online are either in Europe (pricey conversion rates/shipping) or won't ship to Canada.

I've considered building my own but we have enough with house Reno's and seacans are pricey. Could retrofit a garden shed I guess but was curious about motorcycle specific options.

Thanks!

I think an improved search term is
motorcycle shed

"shelter" results in a lot of "tent type" solutions, which are susceptible to rodent chewing thru the fabric, and they have no floor, which means rodents can easily crawl under.

The 'shed' search results in some interesting results, from dedicated motorcycle storage and "generic" metal and hard plastic sheds that are surprisingly inexpensive solutions, and can be purchased from popular local hardware stores.

I'd be that person to build my own, but after seeing ready made storage, at their price point, I'd opt for that :)

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
On a carport, aside from the pricey shipping container you mentioned, the "rodent-proof" bit may be the challenge.
Guess you could find a few stray cats, put them in the tent with the bike, and never feed them?
Nah, that probably wouldn't work either, and then there's the cat excrement to deal with. Well, unless you really don't feed them...

Bike
2010 ST1300
Rodent proof? Field mice - the ones who love the soy based insulation on some wires - can squeeze through any hole their head will fit through - some can go thru a dime sized hole, nickle sized (oops, dime = 18 mm dia; nickle = 21.21mm roughly) is easier. I would think any opening that swings like a door is going to offer ample space for a mouse to squeeze through. Look at your options carefully.

An alternative would be to borrow Larry (@Igofar's) helpers, but they will not like your cold winters.

Bike
'06 ST1300A
The only way to protect your bike from the mice is to give them something tastier and easier to chew on and trap them. The following worked for me:

I didn’t build my “roller” but purchased one at Walmart. Bait with peanut butter and make it easy and obvious for the critters to access the trap. My bucket sits about 1.5 meters from my bike. In my case, the trap caught 29 critters within 2 months thus thinning the herd. Critically and quickly reducing the population has left me clear of any mice activity for 18 months now.
FWIW this is my:twocents1:. YMMV. Good luck!

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
The only way to protect your bike from the mice is to give them something tastier and easier to chew on and trap them. The following worked for me:
Huh.
Apparently, Mr. Esti doesn't like cats. :rofl1:
But actually, I have used this approach myself to counter a mild chipmunk invasion, and it is really quite effective.

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS
Huge numbers of mice and chipmunks where I'm at. The only thing that has worked is traps, all sorts, and bait blocks. Give them every opportunity to not get near the bike, etc.

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
Any recommendations for a storage box you can keep your bike in that is waterproof and rodent proof? The new house has a carport and not a garage and I need a way to store the bike that is secure and the mice can't get to.

The ones I found online are either in Europe (pricey conversion rates/shipping) or won't ship to Canada.

I've considered building my own but we have enough with house Reno's and seacans are pricey. Could retrofit a garden shed I guess but was curious about motorcycle specific options.

Thanks!
You're on the West Coast. Find a used 10' sea can (swing or roll up door) or a new small 8' one?

Let the critters chew through that!

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
You're on the West Coast. Find a used 10' sea can (swing or roll up door) or a new small 8' one?

Let the critters chew through that!
These go for decent prices..... however, get a 10' at minimum, the bike is already 8' long....

Top Bottom