Muffler 'Best Before Date'?

D_W_L

aka, DL-ST95
Bike
ST1100
My ST1100 has about 130K kilometers ( 81K miles ) on the clock and recently it seems that the mufflers are louder that I ever remember. They sound particularly loud at idle. Less so at the speed, probably due to the noise deadening effect that wind has on the sound from the pipes when riding. So my question is, has anyone had to replace their mufflers due to them becoming less effective as they got older? Thanks.

Dave

Bike
2000 ST1100
My ST1100 has about 130K kilometers ( 81K miles ) on the clock and recently it seems that the mufflers are louder that I ever remember. They sound particularly loud at idle. Less so at the speed, probably due to the noise deadening effect that wind has on the sound from the pipes when riding. So my question is, has anyone had to replace their mufflers due to them becoming less effective as they got older? Thanks.

Dave
My oem muffler is louder than it was new so yeah its wearing. Plus sometimes a little rust will come out of the muffler weep hole. I probably won't do anything till it gets worse as I like the more robust sound.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Everything is made with quite robust and solid steel inside there. If they have deteriorated to the point that you can hear a difference, they must be in bad shape internally.

Top Bottom