my '98 1100 with 43k miles

Bike
Hawk
Hey dudes!! I picked up my '98 1100 with 43k miles about 3 months ago. It is the first cruiser I have ever owned. It is pretty cool bike. I came from sport bikes, but was pleasantly surprised at how nice it is to ride the ST.
I look forward to picking the forum brains for "how too" info!! First up is de-Cal. I would like to ditch the smog equipment. Get as much "performance"..lol I can from this ride. I have come to understand that there are not many performance mods (doesn't bother me) but I would at least like to enjoy what I can extract from how the bike was intended.
She is no looker, but I might kick some photos out. I bought the bike from a person who could not work on bikes and was concerned about why the bike was over heated on him. He parked it until he listed the bike for sale. I took it off his hands for cheap and it turned out that his radiator was low and the cap was bad. Other than on oil change, radiator cap replacement and a coolant flush, the bike has been flawless in operation. Purrs like a kitten now. Plan on buying some Delkavic slip-ons to hear that magnificent V4.
Love me some gear driven cams!!

Cheers!

Sharpes, Florida , formally, Nevada City, CA
Bike
GL1800, ST1300
STOC #
Removing the CA smog stuff will not have any effect on performance. I suggest leaving it alone as long as it is working. BTW, 1100 has a timing belt which should be changed unless you know when it was last changed. I would suggest you get a factory service manual. Good luck with your new to you ride.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Not much you can do to 'improve' running performance on a ST1100.
As was said, removing the smog stuff makes very little difference.
However, if you want better handling in the twisties, get a new rear shock (I like Wilbers - stockers are usually 'done' around 50,000 miles) and get the front end redone with Racetech components.
I wouldn't sweat the timing belt - they are good for 100,000 miles (done that 3 times) and age has little effect on them. :biggrin:

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
I'm sure if you applied some "standard" performance updates that a few more ponies could be squeezed out of the engine, but it would be a time and resource consuming work. Compression could be bumped up, cam timing jacked around, and a better flowing exhaust installed, but you likely wouldn't get more than 10-15 HP more from it. Carb tuning on the V-4s is a PITA, as the entire assy has to be removed for rejetting.

AFAIK, there are no high-compression pistons available (though I wouldn't be surprised to find some other model Honda slugs that could be refitted in) or more aggressive cams, and to get any dramatic HP improvement would also require having heads reworked, bigger valves, and balancing the bottom end, so lots of hurdles to overcome!

On the plus side, this engine is very over-engineered! You could probably grind 10-15% of the metal off of each part in it and still have a robust engine. I don't recall (in the last 15 years on this forum) of ANY ST-1100 blowing out the bottom of the engine! Only major failures have been over-heating, timing belt/tensioner or (a very few) valve issues. Now alternators are another story! But your '98 has the bigger alt already.

But it would be interesting to plumb up a turbo....

Tune it up with plugs/filters/oil changes, maybe check the valves, then ride it for 100-150K miles and enjoy!

Bike
2010 ST1300
Welcome to the club! This thread will keep you busy until you figure out that performance upgrades are not needed.....

OP
OP
RogueST1100
Bike
Hawk
Flood gates OPEN! Noice guys! I doubt the belt has been done. The guy gave me the official Honda service manual as well. I will check out the belt situation this weekend (if I can do it or if I need an actual tech).
I don't mind carb tuning since I have done two sets of 1980's VFR750 carbs. For me it is all about changing those insulator boots..lol
I don't want to go crazy on the engine stuff, just reliable, slightly noisy..ahh V4 and fun! I have two routes I am going with and both will be ditching the majority of the bodywork....(don't hit me). It has some kind of taller windscreen (supposedly), but all I get is a headache with buffeting from it. I would rather go without than the way it is. Any bigger and I might as well drive a car..hhaha
Central Cali for location.
I think I need to do a service on the rear diff (?) as the guy probably didn't service that. Something else to check this weekend.
This is my first shaft drive as well. It kind of chatters if I try and "launch" from a dead stop. Is that normal? I don't plan on dragging it, but I did notice how different it felt from a chain driven bike. If I am mellow it seems perfectly fine.
I had some cruisers behind me through the twisty bits near my house and man, you can hustle this bike. Sport tourer indeed, I never saw those bikes again. :) Excited to ride every time I peak into the garage.
Thanks in advance for the help!!

oh..suspension indeed. She is squishy..excessively and leaking on the front left fork. I was hoping to put some racetech in there and learn how to service forks at the same time. Rear shock indeed. Thanks for the heads up.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
It kind of chatters if I try and "launch" from a dead stop. Is that normal?
If it were a final drive issue, as in worn rubbers in the cush drive, you would get a clunk sound. Chattering has been often linked to the clutch being put under a strain, or because of using the wrong type of oil - energy conserving with friction modifiers.

OP
OP
RogueST1100
Bike
Hawk
I put Mobil 1 Racing 4T Motorcycle 10W-40 Full Synthetic Motor Oil inside (good/bad?). It was my only choice locally. No clunk, just a chatter. Since it does that, I try not to launch hard. No reason to really with that bike. :) I could be slow and still beat an average driver in a tesla. lol

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
If that oil is JASO MA certified on the label, it is fine for a wet clutch. I'm sure it is your hard launching that is causing the clutch to chatter. Don't forget that this bike weighs 700 pounds.

Slydynbye

Will ride for Pie
Bike
2000 ABSII
STOC #
If you don't like the windscreen try removing it. I have might cut down real low.
Without it, (if you are tall enough) your helmet will be in "clean" air with no turbulence.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I put Mobil 1 Racing 4T Motorcycle 10W-40 Full Synthetic Motor Oil inside (good/bad?). It was my only choice locally. No clunk, just a chatter. Since it does that, I try not to launch hard. No reason to really with that bike. :) I could be slow and still beat an average driver in a tesla. lol
Yes I have been using that oil in my ST1100s and it works well.

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
I would at least like to enjoy what I can extract from how the bike was intended
The power band is around 5k, just select the gear that keeps you in that range and the bike will respond well, and keep you entertained. Think of it as a 4 speed and only put it in 5th at 75mph.

OP
OP
RogueST1100
Bike
Hawk
^^ I kinda noticed that the other day. she does pull well above 5k. I used to ride a lot of twins so I am still (for some reason) getting used to using more revs. Good thing I didn't switch from twins to inline4 like Scott Redding (WSBK). lol

Bike
2000 ST1100
^^ I kinda noticed that the other day. she does pull well above 5k. I used to ride a lot of twins so I am still (for some reason) getting used to using more revs. Good thing I didn't switch from twins to inline4 like Scott Redding (WSBK). lol
22 year owner of these bikes and just wanted to let you know my observations. #1 a race bike it is not. But as you have discovered the big girl can dance if she wants to. #2 Reliable. This is the most reliable motorcycle I have ever owned. #3 Is it does things really well like if you need to do a nine hundred mile day it will do it with flying colors. Or if you need to do some in town chores or a little tavern hopping yeah it'll do that too. I find mine just likes to purr along the highway at 75 to 85 mph smooth as glass that's where these bikes shine. #4 When its raining a little harder and people are stopping and putting on their rain gear you can keep going as I find the weather protection is first class and imho is as good as a Honda Goldwing.

OP
OP
RogueST1100
Bike
Hawk
Uncle phil, you mentioned Wilbers rear shock. This guy? Wilbers LDC Nivomat Shocks. That is pretty crazy.

Top Bottom