My Avon install and scrub-in impressions

tdeboeser

that's not me!
STOC #
So my Conti Road Attack's life was ended early by a nail. I liked the Conti's a lot, but with all the chatter about the Avon Stroms I just had to try 'em.

Thanks to Swmoto, good prices, quick free shipping. Ordered the tires Friday, got them on Tuesday.

First Look

Unpacking the tires, the front tire is noticeably different than any other in my recent memory. It's a really tall tire. Otherwise the Avon's look almost as good as the Conti's (if a tire can look good).

Installing the tires

Installing the Avon's was about as easy as installing the Conti's. I'm getting better at installing tires - I only said the Lord's name in vain twice. I still think the the Bridgestones (020, and 021) are the hardest to install. The 'Stones have very still sidewalls.

I use No-Mar's vegtable based gell ( like vasoline but without the petrol ) to help slide the tires on. A little on the part of the rim where it the tire gets tight, a little on inside of the tire where it runs against the rim, and more than a little on the No-Mar bar's pushing peg - where it pushs against the tire.

BTW, thanks for the posts on using a strap to hold the tire on the changer. My old method of using 3/4" wood blocks works O.K., but works better with the strap.

I use "Ride-On" for an easy balanace and for the nail protection. After getting the tires on the ST, I figure I should scrub them in on some twistys before putting them on the highway.

Scrub-in and initial ride

I don't like to compare tires after riding the last set to the end of the tire's life. New tire will always feel like better tires. And for a few thousand miles at the end of the tire's life, the old tire's feel like crap.

But, since I'm human I'll end up comparing the two brands anyway :D.

My scrub-in route is all back roads and about 12 miles one way. Initial tip-in is very quick, quicker than the Conti's.
On slow turns ( like turning from a main road to a perpendicular street ), it feels like the tire wants to straighen out before I'm ready. I tend to take the turn slow, turn and accelerate pretty nicely. This is my problem and not the tire's. If the tire is straighening out, then it's time to go straight.

While tip-in is pretty quick (which I like), switch backs are a little slower. This would be do to the "tallness" of the front tire. It's not bad but I can feel it.

Highway travel is stable, surprising given the front tire. In contrast, the 'Stones tip-in quick, but tend to be darty on the highway. I found the Conti's to be stable highway tires.

In turn stabiliy is very good also. Almost rail like, but we have to admit this is partly due to the ST :bow1:. The Conti's in turn stabiliy is similar.

So far

With only ~60 miles on the Avons it wouldn't be fair to make any conclusions, but I will...

So far these are great tires, and if they last longer than the Conti's then they would be the best tires I've had on the ST. Another "so far"; the Avon's and Conti's are about equal in overall performance.

Although I haven't have the Avons in the rain yet ( although it's supposed to rain this afternoon ), I'm sure they'll be fine - most tire's are.

I will say I took it easy during my scrub-in. I'm a little timid about new tires, and I believe you should get to know your new tires before pushing them hard.

So I have two favorite tires now - Avon's and Conti's.

My :tc1:, Tom de

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
Good initial impressions, mine are similar and we really love the STorms. I need to order a new front...25k and it's finally giving up the ghost.
I thought you changed it at 18k. I have over 10k on my front and it is going strong. My back had 10k on it when I replaced it.

Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
Wow, you guys are getting this kind of mileage out of storms? I just got my 1st storm in from UPS for the front of my 1100 and I thought it looked kinda thin in the tread dept.

But if I get that kind of miles from it then that is super.

Just to balance out the high mileage expectations, I have consistently gotten 10,000kms from the rear Storms on the ST11. The front lasts about 30% longer, which is interesting as usually I replace a pair of tyres because the front is worn out first. This is the same as Z6s, so must be the roads.

OP
OP
tdeboeser

tdeboeser

that's not me!
STOC #
Quick Rain Report

Rained enough so cars threw up mist on my way home today. So I thought I'd give my impressions on the Storn's storm ( :) rain ) handling.

Now I was on my way home from work, so I wasn't 'draggin' a knee' or even a peg. But overall the Strom's preformed as any other tire I've had on, except maybe they felt more stable. I did start to force the issue on some slower turns close to home, where I'd carefully turn in, then give the ST a little more push than I normally do in the rain. No slippage, never felt like she was gonna come lose.

(With about 400-450 miles on the Storms)
It could just be new tire euphoria, but the grip is amazing on these tires. More stable in long sweepers than the Conti's ( or 021/020's, and PR's(1)).

So far pretty nice...

tom de

OP
OP
tdeboeser

tdeboeser

that's not me!
STOC #
Good initial impressions, mine are similar and we really love the STorms. I need to order a new front...25k and it's finally giving up the ghost.

So do you think you'll get 2 rear's to every 1 front? That would be nice if it was consistent in that way.

tom de

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
So do you think you'll get 2 rear's to every 1 front? That would be nice if it was consistent in that way.

tom de
That would be nice.. .my Valkyrie used to be like that. I like easy math.

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy

tom de
I don't know if I will. But I have a new front tire in the garage when I need it.I have a little over 11k on it and it is going strong. I don't ride real hard or to fast. But the tires always feel great. I hope you enjoy them as much as I have.

Bike
'93 ST1100
Quick Rain Report

Rained enough so cars threw up mist on my way home today. So I thought I'd give my impressions on the Storn's storm ( :) rain ) handling.

Now I was on my way home from work, so I wasn't 'draggin' a knee' or even a peg. But overall the Strom's preformed as any other tire I've had on, except maybe they felt more stable. I did start to force the issue on some slower turns close to home, where I'd carefully turn in, then give the ST a little more push than I normally do in the rain. No slippage, never felt like she was gonna come lose.
The rain is the main reason I will never use anything but Storms again.
Try riding through a Tropical storm with torrential downpours and 40mph to 50mph crosswinds, yet still able to easily maintain a riding speed of 50mph. The Storm's stuck like they were glued to the soaked road, unlike the BT021's I tested in a much calmer storm that was sent hydroplaning all over the roads, forcing me to pull under an overpass and wait for better weather.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Campstoc last year had a couple of days of rain and on those wet and gravelly mountain roads Storms delivered confident and secure traction and ride. I have no desire to look elsewhere for ST1300 tires at this time.

I used to change both tires at the same time but the new economy has seen me replacing front or rear as needed. I've run 4 or 5 Storm sets now and the wear pattern for me is about 6000-6300 miles on a rear and about 10 or 11,000 on the front. I am going to try and stretch this front to match the brand new rear mounted a few days ago. This front has 8,000 miles on it - I doubt I can make it last 14,000 though. My dealer gives me set prices on individual tire buys.

Winged_STer

Gary Gray
Site Supporter
Bike
'20 BMW R1250GS Adv
2024 Miles
STOC #
The rain is the main reason I will never use anything but Storms again.
Try riding through a Tropical storm with torrential downpours and 40mph to 50mph crosswinds, yet still able to easily maintain a riding speed of 50mph. The Storm's stuck like they were glued to the soaked road, .
+1 I rode across the state during Tropical Storm Fay in torrential rain on the turnpike and secondary highways. They always felt as if they were nailed to the roadway

dduelin said:
Campstoc last year had a couple of days of rain and on those wet and gravelly mountain roads Storms delivered confident and secure traction and ride. I have no desire to look elsewhere for ST1300 tires at this time.

My experience also. Love the tires :D

There was an interesting article in Bike Magazine last year which compared several sport touring tires including the Conti's and Michelin's and AVon's among others. The Avons were hands down the favorite in this category.

Bike
98 ST1100
STOC #
So my Conti Road Attack's life was ended early by a nail. I liked the Conti's a lot, but with all the chatter about the Avon Stroms I just had to try 'em.

SNIP

So I have two favorite tires now - Avon's and Conti's.

My :tc1:, Tom de

[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]
I am on my first set of Storm's on my 98 1100 and so far so good. Avon claims to maintain profile through its life. I ride 2-up mostly and I push it so tire life is usually under 7K and they seem to all flatten out in the center. Just not enough twisties up here.

So far they are maintaining profile and I like the feel. The Azaro's had that crazy wide groove down the center of the front that caused a crazy slow speed wobble. The Storm tread pattern is perfect.

If I can get some mileage from these, then I will have a new tire choice.

Mike

Top Bottom