My Elcheapo Wheel Balancer

Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
Had new tires ordered and needed a balancer. I had the steel, scored used starter bearings at a friends auto electric shop. Took the seals out so they would turn freely. Cleaned the grease out and used light oil. Scored four 10mm bolts, washers and nuts from friend. Notice scratched line across same distance on both to line up even on jack stand. Total cost $0. Use axle to support wheels on bearings. Works great and stores it tool box. Yea I'm cheap.

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
That's a slick solution for a simple problem, prolly at least as precise as the $$ type.

I don't even bother with the bearings, tho. Just stick a smooth rod thru the axle hole and balance the wheel on the jack stands. Need to "wiggle" the rod to get the wheel moving but it's good enuff.

Heard a good quote the other day that applies,
"If perfect is what ya need, then perfect is good enough; if good enough is what ya need, then good enough is perfect."

acedantinne

Site Supporter
Bike
04-st1300, 15-1200RT
STOC #
Nice, real nice. Simple. Thanks. I take it you use your axles? If not what?
Thanks BoB
Duh reread sorry need that 2nd cup of jo!

Papa

R.I.P. - 2020/02/10
Rest In Peace
Bike
Blue Breeze
STOC #
I'm just curious as to why you scored the bearings and the bolts.

OP
OP
Skunkape
Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
The bearings were used, therefore valueless. Given to me by the shop. I have done them favors too. The bolts from another friend. We also help each other out. Nothing was "procured" so to speak. :)

Bike
st1300
STOC #
Would you go with obtained?

I think Papa was thinking you "scored" the bearings & bolts, as in scratched a line into them?

I could be wrong tho, it happens quite often...:D

Papa

R.I.P. - 2020/02/10
Rest In Peace
Bike
Blue Breeze
STOC #
Well, I understand now, when I hear of a bearing being scored, I do think of scratched/damaged. I understand now that you mean scored like in scoring a bag, a date, or maybe even a bolt, but I'd rather score with a date.:D

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
That's close George but what I said, if you were quoting me was, "if it's got to be perfect than perfect is good enough, it only has to be good enough than good enough is perfect".:)
Back to the balance deal, I just slid my Axel through the bearings and put it on jack stands. Do you need the other bearings?

Bike
St1300
Balancing the tire using the wheel bearings is pretty tough because those bearings are grease filled and have significant drag. Using the external lightly oiled bearings gives you almost friction free rotation. All you have to do is nudge the tire and it will turn to the heavy spot. Much more sensitive.

Bike
ST1300A
STOC #
I made my set of wheel balancing tools after buying a very bad quality harbor freight balancer. Their wheel balancer has very bad quality bearings and had a bent bar. It was useless...
I used aluminum 1/4 inch thick plate. It was easy to drill. I used ABEC-7 BEARINGS. I bought a set of 8. They were speed bearings so they have very minimal friction. I did a wood stand very quickly and it does the job fine. I will post the pictures here soon..

Top Bottom