My Guzzi V85TT A

Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
In response to a thread Mondo started I said I would do a write up about my V85TT A purchase. So here it is.

My Guzzi

What can I tell you other than this is one heck of a bike. But to be clear it is not stock. The suspension has been upgraded, Mistral exhaust system with cat delete, and RB EVO Fuel Kit - V85TT. This and the exhaust add a few more ponies. Since I have not ridden a stock bike I can’t give a comparison. But when I was at the Top O Rockies BMW rally I talked with 4 different owners of these bike and the all were either doing these mods or they were all ready done.

Heat is always a question right. Of course it was hot on my ride home after picking the MG up. It hit 100 degrees coming in to AZ from New Mexico on Hwy 180 and then hwy 78. Was riding hot on the body? Yes but not much different than my other bike. Where it is really noticeable is when stopped. It is air cooled no fan blowing on you. Riding left leg a little more hot the than right. The cylinder is a 1 1/2 inches closer to the leg. Not un bearable. BTW hwy 78 was a lot of fun on this bike. The chicken strips disappeared without much effort.

The Moto Guzzi’s are kind of weird the way all of the controls work on the handle bars. The start button has multiple functions. It starts the bike and then you use that button to which ride modes, Rain, Off Road and Road. The throttle must be closed to switch modes. The mode switch on the right control up and down selects fuel mileage, distance traveled, time traveled, etc. But you push the button in and you get a menus system for many different settings. The left control has the cruise control, and I love it. You push the button to turn on the cruise, and a green speedometer shaped light flashes on the dash display. Briefly push the button and the cruise is engaged. Toggle the button up and down to increase and decrease speed setting. There are multiple ways to disengage the cruise, Push the Cruise button, disengage the clutch, use either brake. When the cruise is disengaged be prepared the bike takes a nose dive from engine braking. I find that if I use the throttle and find that spot where it engages then hit the cruise button it works very smooth. Once you are used to the buttons and how they work it is fairly intuitive. One other oddity, The gear indicator only displays the gear when the clutch is disengaged. Hmm, not sure the thinking here. I will get over it. Some also say the display is to small but its size doesn’t bother me, I think it is fine.

Sitting, starting, touching the ground, riding position are very different from my 2020 VStrom 650. Keep in mind that this bike has a 6 gallon tank when full it is a bit top heavy, plus with the cylinders high it adds to that top heavy feel. When fueling make sure if you have short legs that your left foot is not in a hole or on a slant. I am 5’10”ish with a 30” inseam. The bike is stock height with a OEM comfort lowered seat. I also have an air hawk which adds a bit. Standing the bike straight up I am on the balls of my feet which is fine. When I stop I am left foot down right on the brake. So I am good. But getting the bike up with a full load of fuel might be a challenge for some. I say this because it happened to me the gas station had gravel by the pumps and sloped toward the pump. It took a bit extra to get it up. The bike that is.

Sitting with the hands on the bars, man this feels awesome. Hard to explain but it feels just right and ready to hit it. It has that let’s go feeling. I guess one could say that it is aggressive but comfortable position. So much different than the VStrom. My back is loving this riding position. As some know I had major back surgery on Valentine’s Day and I had no issues on the ride home from picking the bike up in Denver. Day one miles 220, day 2 - 567, day three - 126 or they’re about. I had no back issues at all it was wonderful. The butt on the other hand did have a tough time on day 2. At the end of day 2 I really felt refreshed other than my bottom. My wife was in the car and it broke down and we needed to get it towed otherwise I probably would have done the last 126.

This is a dry clutch bike and I wasn’t to sure what to expect but it seems no different to me than a wet clutch. But this ride was all paved roads, and no hot rodding. Shifting is smooth, noticed no clunky shifting. Although there is a noticeable click when you are in the next gear. Clutchless shifting 2 thru 6 is done smoothly. Down shift can be down but you have to figure out where is best to do that. From 4 to 3 is a big drop but still can be done smoothly with practice, or just use the clutch.

The ABS Brembo brakes are just awesome. Much different than the breaks on my V-Strom. Using the ride modes you can turn off the rear ABS when in Off Road Mode. You can also turn the ABS off using the Menu system. So there are options for all. Personally I have just left it in Road Mode. Engine mappings also change using the different modes. My doctor has advised me not to do dirt riding for a while so no Off Road mode for the moment. As mentioned the 2020 only has three ride modes, Road, Off Road and Rain. The 2021+ or what is referred to as EU5 have 5 ride modes.

For those that are looking for a mid size bike oh that is the only bike in its class with a shaft drive. This may be the bike to look at. On another note this is a simple machine. A V twin push rod motor with adjustable tappets. Remember the CB750 SOHC. Not as easy as those but pretty easy from the looks of it to adjust the valves. You can get a special tool for under 10 bucks or use a 10mm box wrench and a needle nose pliers. I will by the 10 buck tool. Oddly enough I am not sure if there are timing marks. All the YouTube I have seen they use a dowel rod to get the piston to TDC. Dowel rod in the spark plug hole and bike is in 5th gear and turn the back wheel. Really old school. I need to further investigate.

The 2020 models came with spoke wheels and tube tires. The guy I bought mine from put on OEM spoked tubeless wheels and tire. The tube wheels do use tubeless tires with a tube. I also got the original OEM tube wheels with the purchase.

My bike had about 3200 miles on it when I bought it. The guy I bought it from put 7.7k worth of parts add ons. I did pay a little over for what a 2020 should go for but I am pleased with the purchase. I may have to investigate a different slip on silencer. The one that is on the bike has quite a bark when the throttle is hit hard. But god it does sound great, reminds me of the old hot rods. Cruising at 80 It really doesn’t bother me. We will see, Maybe some wants to trade. New silencers are in the 600 on up range. But this exhaust system did drop 15 pounds off the bike.

So today is Sunday the 6th of August and I decided I should see how our camping gear fits with the Guzzi. Using the VStrom the wife we had it to a science as to who would carry what on their bikes. Oh that is now changed. The panniers on the Guzzi are several inches shorter in length and my camping chairs and table do not fit. Hmm didn’t notice that, so beware how you pack will change.

It is two weeks now since I bought the V85TT and am up to 1500 plus miles. I am still thrilled even after riding thru Tucson twice in mid afternoon. Hot yes awful, nope only the drivers there. My god how do these people get a drivers license. The wife and I are expecting another 700 mile weekend Going to the New Mexico State Moto Guzzi Rally in Datil, New Mexico. Should be fun.

In a wrap up for those looking for something smaller than a ST type motorcycle this is a bike to take for a ride. This model comes in several colors and configurations. Mine is a V85TT A for adventure and comes with aluminum panniers and top box. The tour model comes with side opening plastics panniers. The adventure and tour have different color scheme. All seem pleasing. They are a little lumpy at low RPMs but when the RPMs are up at 4k plus RPMs it does smooth out and just hums along without a care in the world. I also met a guy last Friday that has a 2020 like mine and has 50k plus miles without any issues. In fact he likes it so much that he just bought the new generation Moto Guzzi Mandello. Oh my what a nice machine that is.

I am still figuring the V85TT out so I am sure things will come out. But I am good answering questions if I can.

Screenshot 2023-08-15 at 7.04.02 PM.png Screenshot 2023-08-15 at 7.04.13 PM.png

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
I recently purchased a '23 model (new) and have only 800 miles or so on it. It's the Adventure model in the blue trim. Probably the only dirt it will ever see is a parking lot. :biggrin: I don't particularly care for the boxes and am considering Givi system. I'm still learning all the functions. I think mine shows the gear selection all the time. Neutral seems to be pretty elusive through. I understand the RPM warning lights, on the dash, can be changed. I'm still running the factory/dealer settings. Quite a light show when you wind it up! The cruise control is great!!! Have to get one on my ST!!

You have a couple of parts I'll be adding to mine (center stand, lower fender and taller windshield).

OP
OP
Grabcon
Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
Moto Guzzi changed the EU in 2021 and maybe that is why you can see your gear number before the clutch is out. As far as finding neutral I have not had that issue. No hunting at all. It takes a bit to get the push in and move up and down on the buttons to work like you want but once the technique is found it works well just a little different. My understanding is that the RPM lights are set low for the break in period, but the user can change then at any time.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Grabcon
Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
Ron out of curiosity what don't you like about the panniers? Aluminum or Plastic?

Bike
Yamaha Tracer 900 GT
I think the is one of the sexiest all rounder ADV bikes I've ever seen especially in those colors. I almost purchase one a couple of years ago but ended up buying a Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE. Beautiful machine my friend!

Bulitt

Flori-Duh-Man
Bike
1200GS, 18 Wing DCT
People who know this bike call it the “Goldilocks bike”……. It is “just right”! :thumb:

Smudgemo

Intermodal Man of Mystery
Bike
'08 GS / '78 CB550
My neighbor recently bought the V100 in red. Holy cow, hard to beat the Italians for style. The V85TT was at the top of my list 18 months ago, but I decided to go older GS for a number of reasons including less technology and more availability to find used bikes. Glad to hear all the good about it, and it was pretty much what I expected had I bought one.

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
Ron out of curiosity what don't you like about the panniers? Aluminum or Plastic?
I see them as rather fugly square boxes. Definitely function over form. I see the point of them being better for off road use. They will bend before they break and could be straightened out (somewhat) with a big rock after a crash. Plastic would crack or break. Duct tape is your friend. As mentioned above, probably the only dirt it will ever see is a parking lot. :biggrin:

OP
OP
Grabcon
Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
My wife and I are doing a fair amount of MC travel and we both prefer top loading panniers. I will say tho that my V-Strom the panniers are quite a bit larger. But to each our own. Hope you find something that works.

This is the V85TT Travel version, side load panniers
Screenshot 2023-08-16 at 1.48.59 PM.png

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I see them as rather fugly square boxes. Definitely function over form. I see the point of them being better for off road use. They will bend before they break and could be straightened out (somewhat) with a big rock after a crash. Plastic would crack or break. Duct tape is your friend. As mentioned above, probably the only dirt it will ever see is a parking lot. :biggrin:
Lots of adv guys go with the soft bags... bumot, mosk moto. Not sure they look better but will fair better during a drop.

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
Lots of adv guys go with the soft bags... bumot, mosk moto. Not sure they look better but will fair better during a drop.
The bags may fare better but what about the stuff in the bag? It's all pretty situational. You pay you money and take your chances.

Mondo

Site Supporter
Bike
‘22 Moto Guzzi V85TT
I pulled the trigger a couple of weeks ago. I bought a new 2022 Guardia D’Onore’ model and it’s ready for the 900 mile service. I second everything Grabcon has reported to date. Many buttons, etc. are different but the manual is actually well written and easy to pick up on the idiosyncrasies. I have added “mickey mouse ears” for cockpit turbulence, a higher windshield, and a front fender. So far, I made a good choice. Much smoother than the FJ-09 with that shaft drive.

Greg

OP
OP
Grabcon
Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
Very nice. My understanding is that they made a limited number of the Guardia D’Onore’ model. Is there a number plate at the handle bar mount? What number is yours?

Hope you love it.

Mondo

Site Supporter
Bike
‘22 Moto Guzzi V85TT
Number 535. They made 1946 of them to commemorate becoming the honor guard in that year.

Greg

OP
OP
Grabcon
Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
The wife and got back from a 3 night Moto camping trip, 2 bikes. First impressions with the bike loaded. Didn't really notice ant difference between loaded and unloaded. We will have to think about who carries what as I said the Vstrom panniers are much bigger. My only complaint with the smaller panniers is that out camping chairs, and table don't all fit like the Vstrom.

Fuel economy I have averaged 48 mpg over 2200 miles. Loaded with gear 47 mpg. Pretty much road 5 over posted according to GPS. so nothing crazy and very little interstate. I will say that anything about 70 on GPS it will suck fuel at 80 it drinks it. Talking with a bunch of Gzzi guys this weekend that is typical. I mentioned I was getting 48 and they were really surprised.

Overall I am still very happy.

Top Bottom