My heat experience

I must have a weird ST. I just got home form a 3,000 trip (only saw 2 other ST's) and this is my heat experience...Mine has always felt hotter on the left side (me on the bike) so before I left for the trip I thought I'd try something. Took the one inner cowling off and drilled if full if 3/4 inch holes. Now it seems like I'm getting even more heat on the left side. The strange part is that its not always the same. Rode in 90 degree some days and it was hot enough that you never forgot it was there..other times it didn't feel as hot. Today coming home it was only about 75 and I thought my boots would melt. On this same trip I rode my buddies FJR and its much hotter than the ST. Also roda my other friends new DL1000 Vstrom.....very nice bike and MUCH cooler than mine. I just can't figure out why I notice almost no heat on my right side. Some complain about heat around the seat area but I have none there. All mine is down low. I do notice it less if I have on my BMW boots and more if I have on the Cruiserworks (which I wore on this trip). The BMW boots are thicker in the shin area and about a inch taller.

Last edited:

ST Dan

2 summers 50k+ miles 48 states
Bike
14 NC700X
STOC #
that is odd, most people notice it on the right side...that's the way it is with me, but only when it's better then 90 out

Same here. In my new to me 2003 I feel more heat on my left side (seating on the bike). the right side is OK. I just took a ride down south ga this weekend and man, I could not handle the heat. I was trying to find clif to ride the bike off of. That is how mad I was. Sunday coming home cloudy, 80 degrees the ride was fine.

But yes I have lots of heat on my left side too not the right like most folks have. And also most testers have complaint on the right side.

Top Bottom