My HPS (Hot Pockets Syndrome) Fairing pockets, Fixed... with vents...

Bike
2017 Yamaha FZ-10
I realize the HPS (Hot Pockets Syndrome) is addressed in a number of threads but I thought I would offer up my solutions which incorporated two different approaches.
After reading thread after thread about the HPS, the other heat around the ankles. I decided i was going to drill holes in the Inner cowls to allow more air through the outer cowl and hopefully allow more air to pass though taking some of the engine/exhaust heat with it. I do believe, as identified in yet another thread about heat, there is a pocket of low pressure around the foot pegs and ankle area.

I digress... one of the threads on here has pics of vents cut into the pocket covers/doors/lids. I liked the idea and agreed with the concept/premise. The pocket was an oven with no air flow. No fresh air, no place for the heated/hot air to escape naturally by principles of convection.

The mission: "vent" the pockets and hopefully address my HPS. Simply drilling a hole in the pocket alone was not acceptable to me. I wanted to keep it protect from the elements, including driving into the rain.

The solution:

• Drill vent holes in the pockets (and inner cowls if not already modified)
  • Shroud the vent holes (I used PVC pipe caps cut in half and glued to the outside of the pocket just above the vent holes.
  • Insulate the pocket using the foil covered bubble wrap insulation (Reflectix) (discussed in a nmber of other threads).

The work:

1. [*=1]Remove the tupperware (Linky)
    [*=1]Drill 1/2 vent hole in the front panel of the pockets, lower the better. Due to the installation of a Dual 12V/USB power outlet being installed across the front of the right fairing pocket my front vent hole is close to the top.
    [*=1]Drill 1/2 vent hole in the outer side panel of each pocket towards the rear as high as possible without interfering with pocket/cowl installation
    [*=1]Cut PVC caps in half and glue/epoxy/JB Weld the half cap over the vent holes.
    [*=1]Cut Reflectix insulation to fix all sides of the pockets. I did not fuss around the vents/shrouds.

The Results​:
I am very pleased with the results. I can leave my phone or GPS in the pockets and everything is cool to warm. Previously anything in the pocket would reach near skin burning temps. I keep a can of Plexus in the left pocket and it too would get VERY hot. This is not longer an issue. I will qualify this with the temp/weather here in the northeast has cooled off a little since mid July and but even in mid 80 degree temps the pockets got VERY hot. I am confident the insulation and the vents have addressed this issue.

The pics:

[HR][/HR][HR][/HR]

[HR][/HR][HR][/HR]

Hope you find this helpful and informative. I have more pics in my Farkles photo album. Here

:06biker:

Barry

Top Bottom