My Hydration Setup

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I typically use a camelbak in the summer. However, on longer trips it's usually not as comfortable because it pushes against the luggage I have on my pass seat and my back. I can strap it on the top of my luggage which helps but then I have to have luggage for that to work.

I've seen many bikes w/igloo jugs on passenger pegs so I decided to make one for myself.

I got this jug from Amazon.

71ulUvXPJQL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

It comes with an integrated drink tube but I removed that, the little locking lip cover and swivel thing on tip and then cut/filed off the long plastic holder on it:

IMG_20220705_072832(1).jpg

I then used 2 short Rok straps to attach to the Ilium bars so it would not touch any painted surfaces.

IMG_20220705_072823(1).jpg

Then I got a quick connect kit

51W2AwwCkrL._AC_UL1200_.jpg

I have some other camelbak tubing so I ran one end of the quick connect through the cap, and the tube from the other end and made it long enough to reach the bottom of the jug:

IMG_20220708_182219.jpg

This allows me to quickly disconnect it from the longer tube in order to unscrew the cap and add water.

IMG_20220708_182317.jpg

Here's the insulated tube I got that also has a quick connect fitting and it also comes with a swivel holder.

81aR7qe-7ML._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I added a strip of 3m dual lock on the swivel and bike so I could remove it and it is also a strong connection.. I tried velcro and it just wasn't very strong.

IMG_20220708_182335.jpg

Final view:

IMG_20220708_182701.jpg

Total cost around $60

Attachments

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
I have a Camelbak also, but the problem we have up here in Canada is that the water inside it keeps freezing up on long rides. The foam insulation on the outside of the bladder will only keep the contents above 32°F for a finite period of time.

Michael

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
I have a Camelbak also, but the problem we have up here in Canada is that the water inside it keeps freezing up on long rides. The foam insulation on the outside of the bladder will only keep the contents above 32°F for a finite period of time.

Michael
Typically, where I will have freezing problems with them is the tubes not the bladder. The trick there is don't leave water in the line. Once you take a sip, blow the water back into the bladder. If you are ridding down the road the water should be moving around a little bit and moving water won't freeze. Well maybe that is an advantage to our crappy roads down here in the US. They are bumpy enough that it won't freeze. I guess if you have roads like glass, it might be still enough to freeze. Also avoid using the shutoff valves. If you use them, they will freeze up even if you blow the water out. It doesn't take much and they will get stuck.

I have done long rides well below 32 and it just has never been an issue. Also, we were issued CamelBaks in the military and I was Arctic Light Infantry for a while so yeah, we delt with cold weather. As long as you keep your lines clear, it has never froze up on me. Even when stopping for sleep as long as those lines are clear.

Another tip if you try this, you might want to orientate the bladder, so the hose connection is on a high point. You might suck a bit more air but if it is at the low point and you blow air into it, eventually it might fill up with air and you will need to let it out. You don't have to fill it up like a balloon, but you can tell when the line is clear of water.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
This is so you can drink without stopping? I need to urinate often enough as it is without constantly drinking.

I'm okay with stopping for rest breaks often enough to get my insulated bag out of the trunk for sipping tea.

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
My camel back is a bit frustrating because it hits my drybags when I lean back. So, I'm gonna caribeen it to my drybag straps and grab a sip when I stop. I really do like having it tho!

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
This is so you can drink without stopping? I need to urinate often enough as it is without constantly drinking.

I'm okay with stopping for rest breaks often enough to get my insulated bag out of the trunk for sipping tea.
If it's hot, or not really, and you aren't taking a sip every 10-20 miles.. just a small one, then you are starting to dehydrate... waiting for time to fill up is too long - 200+ miles. Even if you like to stop often, it can creep in on you.

I like this setup because it works whether I have drybags or not.

I understand the notion that we need to stop every so often anyways...
Personally, I frequently sip a little bit all day. Hot days or cold days. After 40 years riding and flying, I can sip just enough to stay hydrated, alert and not need to take additional leak breaks. I don't mind warm water. Just aim to stay ahead of my perspiration and muscle cramps. Like @Mellow points out dehydration creeps up and way, way before that one looses that sharp alertness.
I use a 2 L badder and carry it in my tank bag. On the occasion when I'm in freezing temps, I slip the bladder inside my jacket with tube coming out the neck cuff. As @sennister says, I blow the water out of the tube. I also carry a spare bladder with my deep storage stuff.

Bulitt

Flori-Duh-Man
Bike
1200GS, 18 Wing DCT
In extreme heat, don’t forget your electrolytes replacements of some kind. I use Nuun Sport tabs but there are lots of brands out there. Water isn’t enough for me.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #

The idea on long hot weather rides is to sip small amounts regularly and balance intake to perspiration and other body needs. It’s fairly easy to ride 2 - 3 hours tank to tank so the stops are limited to stops that takes care of both gas and personal needs. Extreme IBA rides it’s really a requirement to limit time off the bike.

Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
If you don't want to build your own hydration system, this is what I use.
1657391966643.png

Motojug.com works great. you need to supply your own jug

Top Bottom