OP
OP
kiltman

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
Sorry to see this Robert, it is a reminder to me to put the protector back on after inspecting the Velcro after a wash and needing to be replaced, it is sitting on the shelf.
Out of curiosity, how does the light pattern look now with the chip, can it be repaired like the windshield Rock chips/holes?
I haven’t checked out the light pattern at night. The hole is substantial it’s 8mm in diameter and the cracks extend to 25mm.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Why would a protector cause an issue for others, the one on my bike doesn’t change the light’s pattern. On the GS many of them resemble a wire screen, they wouldn’t change where the light is projected.
Martin has complained about light blindness from new headlights before, so I suspect that he meant that the new LED adaptive headlight is the problem, not the protector.

I find that the LED lights on many new vehicles are so bright and have a colour spectrum that makes them much worse at causing light blindness when approaching them. It is like looking at a welding flash that never stops.

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
Old pilot trick- when you’re facing a very bright light (like LED headlights), quickly look down and to the right (focus on the right white lane marker line), and after the vehicle passes you in the other direction, you will retain your sight without the glare sensation in your visual field. I use that all the time. I believe it has something to do with not having light strike the fovea (region in your eye of maximal focusing ‘sharpness’) directly.

Last edited:

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Old pilot trick- when you’re facing a very bright light (like LED headlights), quickly look down and to the right (focus on the right white lane marker line), and after the vehicle passes you in the other direction, you will retain your sight without the glare sensation in your visual field. I use that all the time. I believe it has something to do with not having light strike the fovea (region in your eye of maximal focusing ‘sharpness’) directly.
Yep... dodat while at max leaning angle, peg dragging in a tight LH hairpin/back-sweep, head almost 90° viewing over your inside shoulder... or inside a not illuminated, hand-chiselled tunnel (preferable with a corkscrew or back-sweep inside) and one (more likely an entire pack) of those ignorant posers going the other way with ALL their darn beams on... it's indeed like looking into a welding arch...
Nice that they think they can see into the future, but I can't see $h!t...

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
I find that the LED lights on many new vehicles are so bright and have a colour spectrum that makes them much worse at causing light blindness when approaching them. It is like looking at a welding flash that never stops.
I don’t really have a problem with most OEM led lighting systems but some people over do the whole auxiliary lighting thing to the point where they are a hazard. The problem is probably less the lighting and more the aiming of the light.

Top Bottom