My Tiregard setup

Bike
'04 ST1300A
I picked up a Tiregard 2 wheel system and didn't know where to keep the remote. I had some spare time at work.....and I had the remote.....ta da....Great spot for it. The "holder" is made from a small block of aluminum that is hollowed out with a slit on each end for the clip and the antenna. That is bolted to a piece of sheet metal which is screwed to the dash. Mmmmm....farkle pleasure...

Attachments

Bike
2010 ST1300
Mine just sits in an inside jacket pocket so when it vibrates I just stop. I'd have to stop anyway to check what's going on if the alarm went off, so I thought why need to read the display while riding.

Tell me you have metal valve stems on your tire, if not, don't pull that bike out of the garage until you do!

Also, remember that the unit is not waterproof.

OP
OP
biker5050
Bike
'04 ST1300A
No metal stems yet. I will be changing tires this summer. Going to metal stems then. I replaced the stems at the last tire change and was still on the fence about the TPMS. I know...I know....should have put in metal stems then right?.........Live and learn young grasshopper.....:) I do take the monitor off if it's going to rain and carry it instead. The thing I didn't like about carrying it is I switch jackets alot here in MN. It works much better for me where it is and I can see what's going on when riding. My wife wants to carry the monitor with the tires at 30 psi with the alarm going off and ride ALL day...:)...I'm not sure what's that all about?

Check around on the boards, there have been reports of the stems tearing and sudden loss of air due to the added weights. I've seen the reports here and on other boards as well. Oh, and when I did my research on pressure sensors I came up with the info that you shouldn't run with rubber stems, but the system you have doesn't clue you in on it.

OP
OP
biker5050
Bike
'04 ST1300A
I have heard the same things with rubber stems. But, nobody seems to know of the age of the stem when it happened. Never heard of a new (newer) stem failing. It's the ???? one with 20k/30k on it? Not sure. At any rate, I will be changing to steel stems at the next tire change this summer. It will be good insurance.

STOC #
I picked up a Tiregard 2 wheel system and didn't know where to keep the remote. I had some spare time at work.....and I had the remote.....ta da....Great spot for it. The "holder" is made from a small block of aluminum that is hollowed out with a slit on each end for the clip and the antenna. That is bolted to a piece of sheet metal which is screwed to the dash. Mmmmm....farkle pleasure...
How much to make another carrier for a Tiregard remote? I could really use one ...
:slv13:

Bike
2010 ST1300
I use a 'Tyrepal' which is the UK equivalent of the tireguard system and is in fact identical.

After reading these posts yesterday I called the dealer who sent me an email stating clearly and 'on the record', that if the machine is ridden at non-race speeds then there is no need to change to metal stems so long as the stems have no cranking on them.

That said, I take the spirit of the posts and will be changing to metal stems at the next tyre change. Seems sensible and probably looks better too.:)

PJ

I use a 'Tyrepal' which is the UK equivalent of the tireguard system and is in fact identical.

After reading these posts yesterday I called the dealer who sent me an email stating clearly and 'on the record', that if the machine is ridden at non-race speeds then there is no need to change to metal stems so long as the stems have no cranking on them.

That said, I take the spirit of the posts and will be changing to metal stems at the next tyre change. Seems sensible and probably looks better too.:)

PJ
Hey, it's no skin off my back, I'm not the one riding the bike, I'm only passing along info from what others have reported, and no, I don't think they were racing their ST1300 or their GS bikes. I'd like to see you safe rather than sorry.

Edit: Under the search icon on the top, type in "stem failure" and read the reports.

Top Bottom