Mystery Part

st1100 mystery part.jpg

Bought my ST with a few issues and a bit of frankenwork done to it. Down to the final few things. Can someone tell me what this mystery part is? Its right above the horn on the left side of the bike. Just wondering if its needed or not or even if its a standard part or something that someone put on. Thanks!!

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
I'd also take a look at all those bare cut wires. If you're unsure what's what at least tape the ends of them with electrical tape or dab them with liquid electrical tape to seal them off.
Will prevent possible shorts as well as corrosion traveling up the wire.

Last edited:
Bike
2000 ST1100Y
STOC #
I knew about the conventional "air pressure" deer whistle, never heard about this other kind, electronic deer whistle.
Apparently, from what the manufacturer say, those electronic deer whistle are very effective, nothing to do with the old stuff.

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
Apparently, from what the manufacturer say, those electronic deer whistle are very effective, nothing to do with the old stuff.
Horns work really well too. Unfortunately they also are in the hearing range of humans, so blaring all the time is frowned upon.

As humans can hear to about 20 kHz and deer can do up to about 30kHz, it's possible they can hear it. Will it frighten them off though and how far it travels at highway speeds is suspect in my books. The general science community says there's no real effectiveness of the whistles of either kind and the sounds are not an effective deterrent.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Have you ever heard a manufacturer say, "My product is garbage and ineffective"? No independent research has said any of the deer whistles repel deer. Just because a deer hears it and looks up is not enough. These things are supposed to scare them into running away from you. Not toward you.

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
Deer are like kittens.....will spook at anything.
90% of the time, you do not have time to react.
I have killed two with my truck, and have had three very near misses on the bike.

Had to repair my seat a couple times.......o_O;)

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
My experience is that deer are very curious animals, they always seem to be drawn to any unusual noise as long as they do not feel it imposes any imminent danger to them. Based on that, I have to wonder if these whistles might attract them as much as repel them.

Bike
2000 ST1100Y
STOC #
From "Identify that mystery part", the subject of this thread has taken a curve toward the effectiveness, or not, of the deer whistle.
And, I know that since decades, with reason, there is a general concensus in the motorcycle community that they are not very effective.

Anyway... As a complement of information, you might be interested in the conclusions of an article I have just read, from Fred Rau ( a motorcyclist journalist and writer, author of the "motorcycle touring bible") about the effectiveness of deer whistle for motorcycle.

The article seems to date back from around 2010. I will give the link at the end for those interested in the complete article.
So after having tested both types of deer whistle (the most common and original "air pressure" type and the new "electric or electronic type" (as the Hornet brand ) his conclusion are that :
1- the most common air-powered type are completely useless.
2- among the new electronic type, the hornet is the most loud and by far the most effective. While other electronic whistle had make 70% of the deer react at a distance of 300 feet, the Hornet had make 82% of the deer react at a distance of 500 feet.

Now... that being said... the second part of the problem is the trickiest : once you got the deer's attention... what will the deer do ?

So... (my words here), I think we can look at it like a High Visibility Vest. Why do we wear them ? Because... we believe it helps in making us more visible. And yes, even with a High Visibility Vest, there will always be someone to say "I never saw him coming".

So, that specific brand (Hornet) of deer whistle is effective at producing a sound that can be heard by deers, at some distance (500 feet) in front of you.

And that is all it does. It says : "I'm here. And I'm moving toward you. Now, what will you do ?"

So, Yes, I'm gonna buy one, from this specific brand. But like with a high visibility vest, I will not put all my trust in it.
If it can help save my life, even only once, why not ?

Fred Rau's article can be found here : https://dbridgerhot.blogspot.com/2013/03/deer-whistles-do-they-really-work.html?m=1

Last edited:
Top Bottom