Need A Good Battery For Hot Climate

Louie Louie

I live in the hot desert and my batteries don't last long. Is there a specific battery out there for the ST13 that is a bit more tolerable of hot temps. Feedback and advice welcomed!

Louis

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Louie, have you tried the Shorai yet?

I have one that I was using for my commuter bike. Never had an issue...yet. (It was in my '05, then put it in the '04, but my 04 ST1300 is in disarray waiting for me to get it back together, along with a few new parts) So the battery has been sitting (just ordered a charger for it), but it still has juice (tested this weekend).

The one for the ST1300 is:

shorai LFX18ABS12

You can find them online, of pick them up at Chaparral in San Bernardino.

OP
OP

Louie Louie

Thanks for that. I'm checking the shorai 18 now!

Louie, have you tried the Shorai yet?

I have one that I was using for my commuter bike. Never had an issue...yet. (It was in my '05, then put it in the '04, but my 04 ST1300 is in disarray waiting for me to get it back together, along with a few new parts) So the battery has been sitting (just ordered a charger for it), but it still has juice (tested this weekend).

The one for the ST1300 is:

shorai LFX18ABS12

You can find them online, of pick them up at Chaparral in San Bernardino.

OP
OP

Louie Louie

I ordered the Shorai 18. Its Kinda pricey but ok. Looks like a great product.
Thanks

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
You shouldn't have this problem but if it gets real cold you have to give the battery a few seconds to warm up just turn the key on and wait a bit before cranking. But in your climate I doubt you will have to worry about that.

Bike
st1300 2007 non ABS.
Hi Louie, have you seen that web site batteryuniversity.com ? They are out of Canada, and the guy who started the company is quiet the 'battery professor' ....there are lots of answers on their web site about general battery technology and science, but they will answer you directly Im sure.....Also, google Ballistic Battery on the forum.....its a longhold charge battery and will fit an ST1300 with a bit of infilling, come back to me if you cant find the above references. Cheers....
I live in the hot desert and my batteries don't last long. Is there a specific battery out there for the ST13 that is a bit more tolerable of hot temps. Feedback and advice welcomed!

Louis

OP
OP

Louie Louie

You shouldn't have this problem but if it gets real cold you have to give the battery a few seconds to warm up just turn the key on and wait a bit before cranking. But in your climate I doubt you will have to worry about that.
Thanks, Ive read about that!

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I ordered the Shorai 18. Its Kinda pricey but ok. Looks like a great product.
Thanks

Let's hope it holds up for you better than the others! I've gone thru a few batteries myself and so far it seems to work fine!

OP
OP

Louie Louie

Why do some recommend that no tender be used with this Lithium battery. Will it damage it if I use a battery tender?

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Why do some recommend that no tender be used with this Lithium battery. Will it damage it if I use a battery tender?
If your referring to the Ballistics battery, it's because it's discharge rate when "off" is so small that it's not needed. I haven't heard nor read anything that precludes using a battery tender if you want.

Also, I've tested the 12 cell Ballistics battery in the cold (-2 F) and a few weeks ago ran it through Death Valley in the afternoon heat (+117 F) for several hours . . . no problems. It's now my first choice in batteries and I'll replace the brand new battery with one in whatever bike I get next (few weeks).

Shuey

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Cheap battery tenders you can use it with if you like. But higher end - "smarter" chargers have a de-sulfation mode they will kick into that pulses and jumps up the voltage. The increased voltage can kill the LiFe cells.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
Stock st1300 drain is 2.5ma bike off the battery itself doesn't discharge much just sitting so it's not really required.
"Smart" chargers like Bat Tender and Bat Tender Jr. don't over voltage with a so called desulfate mode. Others do.
There are some LiFeo specific chargers that access each cell to balance them. Which is different than a SLA charger that would over voltage the stack to balance them if it had that function. Cheapo trickle chargers probably aren't a great idea.

LiFe batteries are a pain to figure out state of charge little voltage change then all over the map at high discharge state.
LiFe_volt.jpg

Last edited:

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Louie, right after I recommended the Shorai for you, I went and bought a Shorai charger. Again, pricey, but I figured since my '04 is down right now and hasn't been started in over two months and I'm not sure when I'll have it running again, I decided I needed the charger for it..

http://shoraipower.com/chargers-c43

OP
OP

Louie Louie

Louie, right after I recommended the Shorai for you, I went and bought a Shorai charger. Again, pricey, but I figured since my '04 is down right now and hasn't been started in over two months and I'm not sure when I'll have it running again, I decided I needed the charger for it..

http://shoraipower.com/chargers-c43

Thanks for the info. Whats the worst case scenario if I continue to use
the battery tender plus?

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
You should not use a charger with a sulphation cycle I too got the SHorai charger you really only need to put the battery on it if it is going to sit a month or so. Battery Tender plus does not have a sulphation cycle you should be fine using it.

Last edited:
Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
When my OEM Yuasa gave up the ghost 2 years ago, I did some shopping around and purchased a Motobatt. They run around $70. Fitment was a breeze. They provide a spacer which, contrary to some reports, worked perfectly for my '04 ST1300. I think living in Texas qualifies as a 'hot' environment and it has served me well for the past 2 years. I have a few electrical accessories incl. fog and driving lights, heated grips and a Powerlet.

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
When I worked in San Burn-arse-dino, would would be several months of over 100-105F. I had to use a cooling vest for my commute home everyday....now that was Hot!

Louie, however lives in an oven, where it is over 110-115F for several months at a time....Now that is HOT!

Top Bottom