Need a little help please!

I purchased an 06 ST1300 and it came equipped with aftermarket foam grips with chrome caps; no bar end weights. I have a throttlemeister ready to install and am wondering if these "foamy" grips with the fancy chrome cap actually come off without destroying the grips. The cap spins fairly freely, but doesn't seem to be unscrewing. Then, what do I do when/ if I find the weight assmeblies are gone? Do I just go to the old parts fiche and start ordering parts? (internal weights, etc.)
The grips are very comfortable, but I do want to install the throttlemeister.
I'm thinking about getting the BMW grips as replacements...

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
Are the foam grips over the oem's or are they a replacement?
Prolly depends that and on how they were put on (epoxy or hair spray etc.)

You may have to pry the cap off if it has spring fingers holding it in.

You may only need the bar weights and bolts to hold them in. The internal mechanism may still be there but you won't know until you get the end cap off and look.

+1 on the BMW grips a nice improvement over the oem and pretty cheap.
Depending on your riding area it would be a good time to consider slapping a couple of symtec heating elements under them.

OP
OP
I looked at what appeared to be the same grips (in the store), and noted that the end caps appear to be screwed on from the inside. I guess I just have to "destroy" them off and see where that takes me!
They are not slip-overs, but full on replacements. The problem is that I'll have to identify and order parts from my Honda dealer who handles almost zero stock ...and is very slow on getting in what I order!

Bike
2005 ST1300PA
STOC #
Hopefully you have the inner weights otherwise count on spending roughly $50 or more to replace them. I installed the BMW grips recently and really like them.

Top Bottom