Need help going darkside

Bike
2003 ST1300
I've reviewed the sticky thread in the darksiders section for shops that will install CT, closest one is 275 miles from the north side of Chicago. I don't have the tools or ability to do it myself, and I've asked the three shops I deal with, none will do it. My wear bars are showing after 6,000 miles. Little help here . . . . ?

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
Know any riding buddies in the area equiped to change tires? Most would be willing to help for a 6 pack of foamy pops (I would!)

Some CTs are a pita to get mounted (run-flats, I've heard) but for the most part no more difficult than an MC tire.

Good luck!

tjhiggin

R.I.P. - 2022/06/11
Rest In Peace
Bike
2004 ST1300A
Have you tried a used tire shop? I got a nail in a fairly new tire on my old KZ1100. I don't ride that bike much or aggressively anymore, just use it for poker runs, bike nights, etc. So I was willing to take the risk of a repair to the tire. None of the motorcycle shops or big-name cage tire shops would touch it. But a used tire store fixed me up without batting an eye. Maybe they'll do the same for you.

Bike
2005/06/07 ST1300
If you look on the RAN list and see someone close that has a tire changer, maybe that is your new best friend you haven't met yet.

greg_in_npvl

V65 Rider
Bike
2003 ST1300/ST1300A
I've reviewed the sticky thread in the darksiders section for shops that will install CT, closest one is 275 miles from the north side of Chicago. I don't have the tools or ability to do it myself, and I've asked the three shops I deal with, none will do it. My wear bars are showing after 6,000 miles. Little help here . . . . ?
Is Plainfield too far for you to travel? If so, I know a guy that just did my CT for me for $20. Been going to him for awhile. He's got a shop in his garage.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
There's a reason nobody will do it :nuts1:
How's this, Better?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Me_cmc
Bike
2003 ST1300
Greg, I've already put new MT's on, but maybe plainfield next time.

And igo, please, let's not turn this into another debate about darksiding! It is a free country. Nobody respond to this!

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
275 miles south and it'll just cost you a hamburger... ;)

There is a Facebook group of darksider's. Maybe ask there?? Or guess I can.

greg_in_npvl

V65 Rider
Bike
2003 ST1300/ST1300A
There's a reason nobody will do it :nuts1:
How's this, Better?
Igofar,

You had some valid points in your initial post. Points that I'll keep in mind... such as keeping an eye in the rear pads and the spline. When we're having to R&R rear MTs every 6-8k miles these items are checked. I can see some folks getting complacent racking up huge miles on the CT and forgetting to check the rear pads and spline.

FYI, I just put around 1k miles on the CT riding from the Chgo burbs to Wichita Falls, TX to visit my spawn at Sheppard AFB. Averaged about 500 miles/day taking back roads and dodging storms. Good times.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Top Bottom