need help with hand tingle

I have about 1000 miles on the best bike that I have ever owned a left over 06 and I am having a little issue with my hand going asleep after the first 15-20 min of my ride. My posture is 6-3 and 220 lbs. I have adjusted the seat in every position that it will with no help. any suggestions for me. thanks

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
Get different grips, and bar risers if you have to lean to hold on to the bars. I catch myself gripping the bars to tight sometimes, that will also put your hands to sleep.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I have the same problem and I don't even have to wait 20 miles for it to hit, therefore I added a throttle lock so I can use it and give my hand a rest and it only takes a few seconds.

HeliBars. Definitely. I have the same problem, probably carpal tunnel. That's why I'm looking to get an ST1100 after selling my VFR...it just tears me up.

BlaSTr

Miami ST
STOC #
I had similar problems. I bought the MCL risers to take a bit of weight off my wrists, added grip puppies to thicken the hand grips and remove a bit of vibration, and tried to strengthen my back and muscles. I found out that I was putting too much pressure on my arms (unlike the riding position of a V-twin). It has worked for me as has riding a bit more relaxed. You might also try lowering the seat a bit (I'm 6'/220) and seeing how that does.

Tankereng

Site Supporter
Bike
2018 Goldwing
STOC #
Throttlemeister helped me out....(Throttle Lock) let's me exersize my hand so it's not in the same position on the grip for long periods of time... Gave the Throttlemeister the 1200 mile road test this weekend..... A+

ST Dan

2 summers 50k+ miles 48 states
Bike
14 NC700X
STOC #
throttlerocker (aka crampbuster) works great for me.....and it's cheap too!

OP
OP
thanks so far for the input, forgot to mention that I have a set of throttlemeisters so I can take a break but not so fun to lock the throttle in the twisties.

THANKS AGAIN

On this note, does anyone offer a more 'ergonomic' bar grip? I'm not talking cylindrical, more like something you'd find on a target pistol. Seems like it would be a more progressive item to find on a motorcycle.

Bike
2012 r1200rt
STOC #
i agree that risers are the best remedy for the tingling.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
The OP didn't say what he was riding before, so I'll be contrary and say he needs to use his back muscles to keep the weight off his hands. BTDT, no bike mods required.

--Mark

Just concentrate on relaxing your grip. It takes some doing but I find it very effective. This is from an old dude with serious arthritis.

STOC #
I do not believe you indicated which had was bothering you. Like mentioned by others, some type of throttle rocker or cruise control would help the rt hand, and for the left I could suggest possibly adjusting the angle of the clutch lever, which made a big difference on the sport bikes.

Top Bottom