Need opinions on AV46: Avon? Azaro-ST AV46

georgiast

Failure is NOT an option...
AV46: Avon? Azaro-ST AV46 Sport Touring tire

Any opinions.

Anyone using, or used this tire.

J & P is closing them out at $59.99 ea plus shipping.

Thinking about buying one....

Two Brothers

Walking, Talking, and Smiling!

Any opinions.

Anyone using, or used this tire.

J & P is closing them out at $59.99 ea plus shipping.

Thinking about buying one....

Tires are ok. Had some BMW guys try them and they were not happy with the mileage. If I remember right only about 5,000. Avon has discontinued that tire, but you already know that. If you need one to run out I think it would be good. Not sure I would trust it to drag pegs. Just my thoughts.

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Good price.
Check the manufacture date on them and then figure you have to use them before their 4th year after that date.
If you plan on riding 11,000 miles you'll use them up in a year and like them.

I'd still be running them on the 1100 if I could have found them when the STorm was introduced; but, the STorms were everywhere and these were absent...

OP
OP
georgiast

georgiast

Definitely not a pipe dragger :D

I have never gotten more than about 5k out of any rear tire....

Thanks for the input. Still thinkin'.

Tires are ok. Had some BMW guys try them and they were not happy with the mileage. If I remember right only about 5,000. Avon has discontinued that tire, but you already know that. If you need one to run out I think it would be good. Not sure I would trust it to drag pegs. Just my thoughts.

OP
OP
georgiast

georgiast

We picked up a couple of Storms for my sons Concours, but haven't gotten around to mounting them yet.

Was thinkin' about Storms for the ST...

Price on these might be worth having one as a spare...

Good price.
Check the manufacture date on them and then figure you have to use them before their 4th year after that date.
If you plan on riding 11,000 miles you'll use them up in a year and like them.

I'd still be running them on the 1100 if I could have found them when the STorm was introduced; but, the STorms were everywhere and these were absent...

juddspaintballs

Dual Sport Touring
Bike
KTM 1090 Adventure R
STOC #
That's a good hmmm...as in I might order one myself to keep on the shelf until I wear out my current rear STorm. Too bad they don't have any 110/80/18's in STock because I need a new front at the moment. I ran Azaros before STorms.

Raven

"two wrecks" - RIP ACL
Bike
Aprilia Caponord
STOC #
I definitely like the STorms - awesome tire.

I'd be worried about the age of these close-out Azaros even though they're "new" tires.

OP
OP
georgiast

georgiast

I went ahead and ordered one. I have 4K on my Metzlers, and prob. only got about a thousand to fifteen hundred miles left on the rear.

I will have to put the Avon on before it gets much older...

Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
Any opinions. Anyone using, or used this tire. J & P is closing them out at $59.99 ea plus shipping. Thinking about buying one....
The Azaro is my favorite tire. I'm still disappointed that they were discontinued. Great mileage and good grip.

This tire has been discontinued for some time so they may be too old. I'd check with J&P and ask them to get you the date code off the tires.

I ran Azaro before the Storms. The rear got 30% better mileage for me that the Storm did (iin fact the longest I have got out of a rear), but the Storm front tyre lasted 50% longer. Go figure.. Azaro is perfectly good grip and handling wise.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
The AV 45 and 46 tires worked well on both my ST1100 and current 1300. The front Azaro has a tread pattern that makes it feel as though it's subtly wobbling from side to side at walking speeds sometimes, but I didn't find this to be a problem and it disappears underway. I got about 11K from the rear on my 1300 and routinely got 14K+ on my 1100. The fronts returned 19K on my 11 about 16K on my 13 with the factory recommended 42PSI F&R (40F 42R on the 1100). They handle and stick really well, no problem using all of the ST's available clearance.

One experience I've had will all Avon tires (storms and azaros) is a preponderance of punctures. Of probably 6-7 rear Avons I've used on both of my STs, I was only able to go the entire tread life on one of them without a puncture. Two of them suffered two punctures. In each case I plugged them and used them up, handling and tread life didn't appear to be affected negatively. I've never had a puncture in any other brand of tire. Dumb luck? Maybe.

The only concern I would have is the age of the tires.

Last edited:

Byron

STOC #
Like others have mentioned, they are good tires. More mileage than the current Storm but then again they don't have quite the same grip. Not a bad grip, it's just that Avon sacrificed mileage for grip with the Storm.

Top Bottom