Needs some help with getting a tire mounted

Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
I currently am in Deming, New Mexico and heading toward Kerrville Texas on March 20. My wife and I will take 4 days to get to Kerrville, we travel slow in the RV pulling the bikes. My new tire that I put on in late October is reaching near end of life with just 5000 miles on it. So I am looking for a place where I can go to get a new tire installed on our way to Kerrville or in Kerrville. During our travel from Deming to Kerrville the bike will not be used. I would like to just bring the wheel in and get a new tire mounted.

For those of you Texas folks do you have any suggestion on where I can stop to get this done?

Thanks in advance.

Bike
2010 ST1300
You are roughly 4 1/2 hours from Phoenix - isn't @Igofar in the Phoenix area? Were I that close, I'd head there just for what I would learn watching him work on my bike. Probably not worth the trip for just a tire, but then again.....

OP
OP
Grabcon
Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
We have spent our time in Arizona and are now headed back east to Texas for a couple of weeks and then north to Denver. But thanks.

Last edited:

tjhiggin

R.I.P. - 2022/06/11
Rest In Peace
Bike
2004 ST1300A
Just a bit of advice: when you take your bike to the shop for the new tire, take the side bags off first. Once on a trip I needed a new tire. A nearby Honda dealer had the tire I needed. However, they charged me 1/4 hour labor, $20 as I recall, to remove & replace the side bags! Grrr....

Hope it all works out for you and you have a great trip.

OP
OP
Grabcon
Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
However, they charged me 1/4 hour labor, $20 as I recall, to remove & replace the side bags! Grrr....
First if they charged you that much they are not very good with their time management. It is a 15 second deal to remove a bag. But thanks for the heads up. I was just planning on bringing the wheel in and having them mount the tire, they don't even have to balance it.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
First if they charged you that much they are not very good with their time management
That's very good time management. They turned a few seconds into an extra $20. But it's really wallet management where they excelled.

Mophead

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300
Well I went back and re-read you initial post. You aren't going down I20 but rather I10.

http://www.freewaypowersports.com/ Big shop right off I 10. Have several brands they sell and service. I have been in the store but never had any service work done.

http://www.motoelpaso.com/ Another shop right off I 10. Used to be a bigger dealer but now a Mom and Pop shop but do have a service department. No experience here either.

Just a couple of suggestions. There is always Barnett Harley Davidson off Lee Trevino exit but they probably charge you just to pull into the lot.

Good luck.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Grabcon
Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
I won't be ready until after the 25th. I found a place in Kerrville where I can bring the wheel in and wait. they will mount and balance for $29 if I by the tire from them. $49 if I bring a tire in. Hardly worth the effort to buy a tire on line and have it shipped somewhere while we are on the road.

Top Bottom