New 2021 Tracer 9 GT, follow up.

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
There is a You Tube video that pretty much summarizes my opinion of my new ride after 1500 miles:
.Yamaha Tracer 9 GT 2,000 mile review | The good, bad & ugly - Bing video

What I love:
That engine! 117 hp, 69 ft/lbs. torque
485 lbs. wet.
The electronic suspension
The handling
The quickshifter
Easily adjustable ride, performance, ABS, traction and wheelie controls.
The seating position
Standard heated grips, cruise control, 12v cigar lighter accessory plug.
Believe it or not, the stock seat.
The headlights, running lights and cornering lights, however weird they may be
Speaking of weird, no pipe! Just exhaust ports in the catalytic converter. I kinda like it. Sounds good too.
Bridgestone T32 tires
Storage under the passenger seat
Bags are standard, large, and easy to remove and operate.
The display and the thumb wheel options.

What I do not love:
The bike is tall, about 31" seat height at the lowest setting. I am 5'9" 31" inseam.
Foot peg placement, fine when underway, a pain at a stop, at least for me. This is probably my biggest gripe.
The stock shield is butt ugly and causes turbulence at 70 MPH plus, in the low setting. New Puig on its way.
Radiator is too exposed, Evotech guard is on its way.
Fairing must be removed to access the two 12v accessory plugs, each fused at 2 amps. Relay (diode protected) and fuse box ready to be installed.
No GPS standard.
The display, I have Groucho out of my view with my aftermarket GPS mounted2021 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT 2.jpg. 2021 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT 2.jpg

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Thanks for your insights. Were the pegs in the way when stopped? With no GPS, can you see the dash well, or is it pointed towards your chest? I hear it's also not very bright? Assume the dash angle is not adjustable? Assume "No GPS standard" means there's no built-in nav system? Thanks!

OP
OP
jmcarruth
Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
Thanks for your insights. Were the pegs in the way when stopped? With no GPS, can you see the dash well, or is it pointed towards your chest? I hear it's also not very bright? Assume the dash angle is not adjustable? Assume "No GPS standard" means there's no built-in nav system? Thanks!
The pegs hit the inside of my legs when I am stopped and my feet are on the ground.
The dash and its gauges are adjustable and easily visible. The dash angle does not adjust
No built in Nav system, but, aftermarket is easily installed.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Have you tried both peg positions? Looks like they are adjusted to the high position in the photo above.

OP
OP
jmcarruth
Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
Have you tried both peg positions? Looks like they are adjusted to the high position in the photo above.
They are at the low position, as from the factory. The problem is, they live where my legs naturally go down and cause them to extend outward. Kind of hard to explain.

OP
OP
jmcarruth
Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
You wish!.
The only dislike I cannot readily address is the foot peg placement, and I have learned to live with that.
Your '19 is a good looking bike, though.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
The pegs hit the inside of my legs when I am stopped and my feet are on the ground.
I had a similar experience with the new GW, but learned to deal with it. It is kind of annoying though, but I do like the GW riding/foot position, so the minor short term annoyance was worth it.

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
I have the '19 Tracer GT, as per above image. Great bike and the '21 is a good evolution of the '19, albeit significantly more expensive.

I find the seat height and the high mounting of the bags to be a pain. I goosestep onto the bike vs. swinging a leg over when getting on and when getting off, I often clip one of the bags, especially toward the end of the day when the old hip joints are fatigued.

Moving from a heavyweight ST to a much smaller bike was welcome as I found the ST getting just too ponderous when moving it around the garage and in parking lots, gas stations etc..... Can't beat the fairing protection and comfort of an ST though when riding in the pouring rain for hours.

Jethro

R.I.P. - 2023/10/20
Rest In Peace
Bike
2006 st1300
Why don’t you stand on the left foot peg ,hold handle bars,& the swing your right leg over? Side stand will take it.!

Bike
S10, R1250GS, KLX300
2024 Miles
STOC #
I had to lower the pegs and rotate them back a little with some EBay adjustable pegs. I run a topcase only unless on a trip and then mount the saddle bags.

Last edited:
Top Bottom