New Angel GT,S On Order

Been busy getting bike up to it’s potential with the help of every here and especially IGOFAR. Thanks.

I stopped to take a look at my tires and date codes this morning. Lots of tread and looked good, I knew the bike had sat for a few years. My front tire was loosing air slowly so I checked it for obvious problems screw, nail, staple etc, with no issues seen. Valve stem not leaking. It has dropped from 42psi to 27 in 2 weeks. Knew I was going to have to address it before serious riding season comes in 3 months here in NW Arkansas. So today I checked date codes and as I suspected, they are pretty old. Front reads 1214 and rear reads 4813. Front is 7 years old and rear is 8 years old. Probably not 2000 miles on the tires but I took the plunge and bought some Pirelli Angel GT,s. If anyone was curious I bought the front from 2 wheel for $156.83. Rear tire was bought from JP Cycles for $195.41. Not one store I checked had both tires available at the same time so I bought from 2 different places. Oh well, excited to get these in and put some miles on them.

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
Angel GTs are good tires. Might not last as long as some others, but they will never make you wonder or worry. Good choice

Bike
2010 ST1300
I'm curious what the date codes are for your new tires - i.e. how old are your brand new tires?

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
I am surprised that the original Angel GT is still available,,, since Pirelli has had the GT2 on the market for a while now. Did you choose the A-spec rear,, which is designed for heavier sport touring models ?? My A-spec rear performed very well. Nearly as well as the Metzeler hwm equivalent. But the front GT tire performed poorly,,, and I replaced it early,, and so never went back for another. Due to supply shortages,,, I currently have 2 spare front tires in the basement,, too be mounted late spring. If you can find what you will need for this coming season,,, it may be a good idea to stock up sooner than later. Cheers,, CAt'

OP
OP
LJST
I am surprised that the original Angel GT is still available,,, since Pirelli has had the GT2 on the market for a while now. Did you choose the A-spec rear,, which is designed for heavier sport touring models ?? My A-spec rear performed very well. Nearly as well as the Metzeler hwm equivalent. But the front GT tire performed poorly,,, and I replaced it early,, and so never went back for another. Due to supply shortages,,, I currently have 2 spare front tires in the basement,, too be mounted late spring. If you can find what you will need for this coming season,,, it may be a good idea to stock up sooner than later. Cheers,, CAt'
Looks like I have a GT2 coming for the rear and a regular GT for the front. The GT2 having 2 strips down the tire for added wet weather traction. Compounds are the same per Pirelli. I can’t seem to find a GT2 in a front tire for my bike. Both load rating 59 and speed rating W. I’ll put them on and get on down the road.

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
For my own use, I'd stay away from the GT2 simply because of those two strips down the center of the tire. In looking at user reviews, GT2 owners rate it lower than the original GT. Their reviews indicate the two strips are following the resurfacing grooves on pavement. I had the same issue on other tires years ago. It felt like I had a flat tire to the point I actually got off the freeway once, just to confirm I had good tire pressure. I hope your experience is better.

Chris

OP
OP
LJST
For my own use, I'd stay away from the GT2 simply because of those two strips down the center of the tire. In looking at user reviews, GT2 owners rate it lower than the original GT. Their reviews indicate the two strips are following the resurfacing grooves on pavement. I had the same issue on other tires years ago. It felt like I had a flat tire to the point I actually got off the freeway once, just to confirm I had good tire pressure. I hope your experience is better.

Chris
I read the review you are referring too. Grooved concrete will make any motorcycle tire or car tire drive/ride unsettling.
I’m sure they will be fine. Looks like it will only the rear with the chicken strips. Thanks.

SmashVol

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 FJR1300 ES
I'm on my second set of GT2's and love them. Have no issues and you will not feel any transition from one tread to other. Wear has been even and get good mileage out of them, got around 10 on the first set.

Top Bottom