New BMW Commercials

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
Very true. I am concerned BMW will attempt to grow too quickly and become just another bike company. They have a bike that appeals to a certain segment of the population and they make good money selling to them. But when I see them doing things like building scooters, bringing out too many models, and possibly losing the quality they were always known for, it worries me. Its happened to cages when American companies bought out European companies and attempted to sell them to new markets- we ended up with Jags and Volvos sharing platforms with Ford and Lincoln; Ford turned Rover into just another expensive SUV; and Saab is no more.
Growth will be regulated by those who buy and discover the actual total cost of ownership........ what will their second bike be? Noted also, BMW just announced they've acquired Husquvarna, so here come more dirt bikes..... which is what Honda wants to sell the most of these days (and actually always have).

Bike
2006 ST1300
Growth will be regulated by those who buy and discover the actual total cost of ownership........ what will their second bike be? Noted also, BMW just announced they've acquired Husquvarna, so here come more dirt bikes..... which is what Honda wants to sell the most of these days (and actually always have).
Precisely my point. BMW was always the bike to buy if you wanted to ride across the country, or around the world. Their engines didn't have the most sophisticated technology, but they worked well and could be fixed anywhere with minimal tools or parts. Now they are into performance dirt bikes, high performance street bikes, LOTS of different models spreading themselves out. Is that a good thing or a bad thing? For many companies entering into a new market segment is good. Is it for BMW, and what will their diehard followers think?

New question...with them taking in Husqvarna, will they merge with their dealer network, increasing BMWs dealer network? THAT would be a good thing, and was a major factor when I crossed BMW off my list before buying the ST. Its one thing to not have a dealer within 100 miles in the open west, but in New England? The closest dealer is 106 miles away, in Falmouth, ME- out on the coast. BMW's demands forcing many dealers to spend a lot of money remodeling to meet new requirements put many out of business- and unfortunately, many of those were exactly the dealers that gave BMW such a good reputation- the small shop in an old barn with a wood floor, where the techs had every torque spec memorized, knew what was wrong just by hearing the bike pull into the driveway, and could name every change BMW made over the past 50 years.

Top Bottom