New BMW to lust after

Bike
2005 ST1300
yeah I'm with you, Noice!!!

(What's with the 1 round and 1 rectangular headlight though??)
Also, 0 - 62 in 2.9 is a little disappointing considering at the launch of the K1200S, the published 0 - 60 was 2.8?
Now you have a much lighter and higher horsepower bike by far and its slower 0 -60? May becuase of race gearing? who knows..

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
That is a nice looking bike. I wonder if the maintenance schedule will be comparable to the Japanese liter bikes? If it is, I could see them moving quite a few of these. It looks like BMW realizes that they need to tap into the younger market. Do you think HD/MV Augusta will try to do something similar? I don't see a lot of young guys riding HD's.

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
That's a hot looking bike, though I wonder when BMW will rediscover the beauty of symmetry? Think I'd take the Duck.

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
Did Yamaha build that for them? It doesn't scream BMW anywhere....

Bike
ST 1300
A Beamer with a chain final drive. Hmmm...Seems as though they may have found the answer to their failed shaft problems. :crackup

Bike
ST 1300
I agree it looks like it took cues from Yamaha and Suzuki. The pricing point seems to be very competitive for BMW too.

Lano

I was so much older then
Bike
ST 1300
Crap! 30 years too late for me. Where was this and the new Ducati Streetfighter when I could appreciate them? I remember when the 750 Honda four came out how "monstrous" we thought it was. This is the "good ole days".

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
I love everthing about that bike with the exception of the headlights. They aren't a deal killer but they don't do much for me.

Other than that, I hope they offer it in black. If the pricing is on par with the Jap liter bikes, it will stir the hornets nest. :D
Silver and black (in addition to whatever that other color is).

I'm thinking Mad Eye Moody was consulted on the front-end design.

Attachments

Bike
2005 ST1300
Yeah it is sweet looking except for the 'eye'
Bone's you pretty much nailed it...:D

I can see people buying and cutting some plastic and installing a matching light on the other side...

FlexyRacer

Be Seeing You
Bike
2007 ST1300
BMW's are a nice "illusion" to me now. Once you live with one, you realize you are the test guinea pig for the factory to find all the real world flaws their brilliance did not anticipate. But you are blessed with "premium pricing" for the priviledge. This one probably uses some kind of exotic cold pressed oil that only "they" sell for $37. a quart. It is fast, exciting, imaginative. Once you have one, it is expensive, discouraging, and you have all the repair staffs names memorized. But ego might not let you admit that it was a mistake or you convince yourself it is all worth it because it is the "best". People who have the disposable money or who constantly love to tinker and problem solve won't mind. People seem to be in love with the BMW image, both cars and bikes. Though some customers have had great BMW experiences, my BMW car and bike experiences has helped me to see through the BMW facade. I am not a status seeker or fad guy so I can resist the hype. It is my conviction that BMW plays Americans as suckers, willing to pay the price.

This would be a BMW 1st off attempt at the big 4 jap bikes....

I think, if I were in the market, I would most likely have this beemer as a last choice, simply because since this is their 1st attempt, chances are, they did not get it right.

The japs have been doing light, super powerful liter bikes since the 1990s, so nearly 20 years of experience has to account for something.

I'm willing to bet, that the beemer would blow up pretty fast under hard use.

However, it is good to see that someone is at least attempting to create an alternative to the jap bikes, that is still *affordable*
Sure the Duc is light and fast, but at its price, they can keep it.... I'll take an R1 and keep up any day :p

As for the headlight on this BMW?
Maaan, that is uuugly.
The rest of the bike looks ok.... the turn signals are way too low.... stupid spot for em, they should be in the mirrors... for track days, you have to take those off anyway, and up high and wide is far better than where BMW stuck em now.... (which also brings up, again, that they're too new at this superbike thing)

Tazmool

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
The life cycle of Japan inc. liter bikes is two years now, that a new updated model comes out every two years in order to remain top of class and a good seller. Historically I understand the liter bike buyers are not very loyal and buy the top of class bike every generation which is 1 year or less as new models debut between the Big 4.

BMW should have debuted with a fly-by-wire ABS system like the 09 Honda CBR if they wanted to be class leader in technology. As it is the CBR1000RR is still the moving target in this class. The Motorrad will sell a few but it is hard for me to comprehend the amount of money BMW has to commit to this class for a return not just with this bike but the next and the next which might only be 4 years. The Big 4 are in R & D right now for the '10 and '11 model liter bikes. Honda might sell 20 or 30,000 CBR1000's this year in the USA and BMW won't sell 13,000 total of all bikes they make. That's not much return in a class that doesn't really drive sales in genres other than sport bikes.

Still, it's making a statement that they choose to go toe-to-toe with Japan in this hypercompetitive class.

Top Bottom