OP
OP
the Ferret

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
Well, cleaning the old red loc tite out of the threads was harder than I would have thought, but they are now reinstalled with blue loc tite and torqued to 23 ft lbs. bolts looked good and uniform, but think I'll go ahead and order a set and put them in my spares box.

Thanks everyone for the replies. As usual you all are very helpful.

OP
OP
the Ferret

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
I'm thoroughly convinced, since my dealership does not keep those bolts in stock, that if you took your bike in for new brake pads, you (1) wouldn't get your pistons cleaned
(2) would not get the old red loc-tite cleaned off your old bolts (like you said it took me 15-20 minutes per bolt) (3) would not get any new blue loc-tite on the old bolts and (4) would not get your bolts torqued to spec.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
be careful with loctite colors iirc honda and loctite do not use the same color code.

trm

I just stripped an axle pinch bolt, tried to use a drill and a "grab-it" no luck. Any ideas? Did the filing to create some flat points on the bolt head work?

Thanks, TRM on the Northside of SA

trm

Thanks for the help, I was totally stumped until catching this thread. All good ideas, found a hacksaw in the garage, cut some grooves near the edges of the bolt head, hammered on a smaller 12 pt. socket, and finally broke free. When i noticed the hex head stripping, i switched to my Torx sockets and they took what was already a bad situation and made it worse.

All this after breaking a 12mm socket trying to take off my brake calipers, hard to believe a ratchet set bought 22 years ago from Chief Auto didn't last :)

I'm really ticked at the Honda dealer tech's who have over-tightened every last nut and bolt (and especially oil filter), its really poor workmanship and makes me feel justified in doing this tire swap myself.

Thanks, TRM

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Thanks for the help, I was totally stumped until catching this thread. All good ideas, found a hacksaw in the garage, cut some grooves near the edges of the bolt head, hammered on a smaller 12 pt. socket, and finally broke free. When i noticed the hex head stripping, i switched to my Torx sockets and they took what was already a bad situation and made it worse.

All this after breaking a 12mm socket trying to take off my brake calipers, hard to believe a ratchet set bought 22 years ago from Chief Auto didn't last :)

I'm really ticked at the Honda dealer tech's who have over-tightened every last nut and bolt (and especially oil filter), its really poor workmanship and makes me feel justified in doing this tire swap myself.

Thanks, TRM
PB Blaster and Patiences is your friend.
Spray them down with PB Blaster, then try again the next morning.

Top Bottom