New fork mounted LED lights

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
I had some projector style lights mounted on my forks. The L bracket I made out of 3/4" aluminum never broke but the sheet metal yoke they used around the light did. If you're going fork mounted, lightweight and small.

OP
OP
Obo

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
I agree with the comments about securing the lights / concerns about size and breakage of the brackets / fender or mounting tabs on the forks. There's no way I want those inside the rotating wheel as I travel down the road. As I said this was just a mock up to see how I liked them fork mounted, and I appreciate everyone's input.

I have small conspicuity LED's on my other bikes forks which was my original plan for the ST(and still may be) and smaller side mounted spot lights. (here's the other bike.) I just had these larger lights sitting on the shelf so I did a mock up.

20170612 IMG_9952.JPG20170409 IMG_9621.JPG
IMG_3894.JPGIMG_3885.JPG

I'm not sure I like the mirror mounted lights both from an esthetic point of view, and that it doesn't give me that triangle of light I want.

I do have clear lenses to swap out the mirror turn signals but not sure if I'm going that route or not. There are advantages for having the yellow lenses to mark the outer edges vs more white possibly making me look further away at night than I really am.

I've also considered mounting some lights to the tip over bars something light this photo but need to figure out how to attach them. I haven't found any posts on the form here as of yet.
1573910698505.png

Either way I'll be adding something to the forks for conspicuity. I've had only one issue with the wire on my other lights breaking from flexing with the fork travel in the past 6 years. I'll decide after that if I want extra usable light after that. I find the stock lighting on the ST far superior to the lighting on my Kawasaki for night use.

Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
I do not think that the vibrations will break your steel bracket. It is that your light is down and forward of the center line of the single fork mounting screw, so that it will act like a wrench to loosen the screw. Which is what happened to me. Use a longer screw and add an extra nut (or two) to the back as a lock nut. add some locktight for good measure. Then keep an eye on it.

or find a 2 inch light.

This is what I will put on mine some day (low on priority list.....)

https://www.amazon.com/Qiilu-Spotlight-Motorcycle-Headlights-Universal/dp/B073PZC6CJ/ref=sr_1_124?keywords=motorcycle+led+spotlight&qid=1573934107&s=automotive&sr=1-124

STlight1].jpg

Last edited:
Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
On the other hand I had been waiting for something more like this in a 2 inch version.
I may get this and try it since it is close enough.
It provides a fog light pattern that can be used with your low beams and it lights up the sides of the road better.

https://www.amazon.com/waterproof-off-road-vehicle-motorcycle-warranty/dp/B07KN882TV/ref=sr_1_175_sspa?keywords=motorcycle+led+spotlight&qid=1573934136&s=automotive&sr=1-175-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyTUlQQUVKOTM5Ukg1JmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMjUzNTg1MkYwUTNEN1NESVVZVyZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMzQyNzY5Mk4xN0I5N0NLRTdHMCZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2J0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

nice to have lots of options....

OP
OP
Obo

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
On the other hand I had been waiting for something more like this in a 2 inch version.
I may get this and try it since it is close enough.
It provides a fog light pattern that can be used with your low beams and it lights up the sides of the road better.

https://www.amazon.com/waterproof-off-road-vehicle-motorcycle-warranty/dp/B07KN882TV/ref=sr_1_175_sspa?keywords=motorcycle+led+spotlight&qid=1573934136&s=automotive&sr=1-175-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyTUlQQUVKOTM5Ukg1JmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMjUzNTg1MkYwUTNEN1NESVVZVyZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMzQyNzY5Mk4xN0I5N0NLRTdHMCZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2J0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

nice to have lots of options....
I looked at similar last night with halo rings in white, red or orange. The rings are wired in with the lights so it's either both on or both off.

Bike
2004 ST1300
I fashioned some of the same brackets and my lights were about the same weight. I had to grind the corner off to fit the fender mount screws on the 1100. They were bent down after arriving at OhStoc one year. I road down from Ontario.
I also tried 3/8" aluminum angle cut to fit the same same location. I sourced longer fender mount bolts and included a locking washer so the bracket wouldn't turn. Also a bit of Loctite to prevent loosening. These brackets were bent by the time I returned from OnStoc.
I believe the best mounts would be the 'U' shaped ones from Twisted Throttle or under mirror mounts. The sample of under the engine guard would probably get rubbed off with the way I corner.
My 2 cents.

Reactions: Obo
OP
OP
Obo

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
The sample of under the engine guard would probably get rubbed off with the way I corner.
My 2 cents.
Yes I was wondering too about the possible "drag factor" which is likely why there's not many of these examples out there.
The over/under the mirrors seems to be the most prevalent. I'm still not sure I like the aesthetics of them.

Bike
2003 ST1300
I finally got these wired up and mounted on the fork reflector brackets. They’re light, and as a result don’t feel very sturdy, but we’ll see how long they last. I used blue thread lock and some rubber washers in the hopes of avoiding them vibrating loose.

HUGE THANK YOU to @SMSW for all his kind, and very patient help. I wouldn’t have even attempted this electrical work without his support.

Attachments

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Those should light up your life, in front of you! :thumb:

On my 2012, I have round 4x4s under the mirrors. They are pretty darn bright! :cool:

OP
OP
Obo

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
Well I bought 2 sets of these while on sale. I've wanted them for a bit for the other bike but didn't want to pay full price.
Spot and flood, 900 lumens, 3" x 1.89" x 2.25"

1576499409401.png

I may see how they fit on the ST and if not at least 1 set will go on the snowblower. (I upgraded it from an incandescent light to LED flood last year by adding a bridge rectifier and come capacitors to smooth the AC ripple effect.)

Top Bottom